You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:01 pm 

http://www.jaci-inpractice.org/article/S2213-2198(13)00125-6/fulltext (Copy and paste - link not working for some reason)

Background
Auvi-Q is a novel epinephrine autoinjector (EAI) that provides audio and visual cues for patients at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions.

Objective
We tested the preference for Auvi-Q or EpiPen with regard to method of instruction, preference to carry, device size, and device shape.

Methods
This large, multicenter, simulated-use study evaluated whether adults (aged 18-65 years), caregivers (parents/guardians aged 18-65 years of children aged 5-17 years), and children (aged 11-17 years), with and without experience in using an EAI, had a preference for the current design of Auvi-Q or the current design of EpiPen. Participants were given a scenario that involved anaphylaxis and were instructed to simulate use of an EAI. They received and tested each device individually according to the randomization assignment. After testing both devices, they completed a survey to indicate their preference for Auvi-Q versus EpiPen.

Results
Among all 693 participants combined, Auvi-Q was preferred over EpiPen on all study end points (P < .001). For experienced and inexperienced participants in all 3 groups (adults, caregivers, and children), Auvi-Q was preferred over EpiPen for method of instruction, preference to carry, and device size (all P < .001). The preference for Auvi-Q device shape was not significant among experienced children (P = .10); however, it was significant for inexperienced children (P = .04) and highly significant for experienced and inexperienced adults and caregivers (P < .001).

Conclusion
In this large multicenter, simulated-use study, Auvi-Q was preferred over EpiPen by experienced and inexperienced adults, caregivers, and children.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 pm 

For the two of us in our home whom carry EAIs we definitely prefer the Allerject / AuviQ more!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am 

walooet wrote:
For the two of us in our home whom carry EAIs we definitely prefer the Allerject / AuviQ more!
My kids had some of their Epipens expire at the end of Jan so we got Allerjects instead and I'm impressed so far. I've never actually fired a live one yet, though. Will do once these new ones expire next year (and hopefully not earlier due to anaphylaxis emergency!).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 am 

Every single one of my coworkers prefers the Allerject to the EpiPen as well, for the voice prompts, so I make sure to carry one with me all the time whilst at work.

However, as an adult, many people around me have never seen or used the Allerject before so I keep EpiPens with me too, and will for a few years, in case someone doesn't recognise the Allerjects. I find EpiPens easier to carry in a waist pouch for going running*, as I haven't found a suitable carrier for the Allerjects yet that's comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time without the Allerjects moving around. (Allerjects stack on top of each other in a SPIbelt, which makes it really uncomfortable, instead of laying flat side by side.)

* Especially now that I have a clip to hold two EpiPens together, side by side. The clip is included in American EpiPen 2-packs. It prevents them from moving around in my SPIbelt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 am 

Thanks for sharing your experience! I responded to the other thread about Spibelts : )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 am 

I still like both the Epipen and the Allerject. We are continuing to send our son to school with the Epipen because we feel more confident in the school staff with their familiarity with the Epipen... even though I have met and demonstrated the new Allerject. They seemed to really like the new Allerject, but we are waiting until we feel there is 100% confidence in using the new autoinjector.

My husband and I both carry the Allerject (although, I find it gets a little "lost" in my purse, so I have to put it in the zippered section. The Epipen was always easily found in my purse, but with the Allerject being smaller, I want to make sure it's readily found in my purse.

That's interesting about having 2 Allerjects in the Spibelt and how they stack up on each other. I appreciate spacecanada sharing this information!! Definitely something to consider. I wonder if Allerject could be contacted directly to see if they can suggest a carrying device inside fanny packs, running belts so that 2 devices can be comfortably carried.

All-in-all, both are good devices. We will likely move to carrying only the Allerject in time to come simply because it is smaller, and for those administering, that are unfamiliar, the ability to speak to the user is helpful and comforting.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm 

I show the Allerject to anyone who I think may need to know how to use it! i.e., LOTS of people! :banana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 am 
Site Admin

I show the Allerject to everyone, too! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
I show the Allerject to everyone, too! :thumbsup

Our pharmacist is still showing it off to random people and everyone refilling their EpiPen or Allerject prescriptions. He thinks it's the coolest thing ever. The other pharmacists in the office say they can all recite the trainer's audio track from heart because it's played over and over. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:38 pm 

So fascinating reading the thread....

and self-declaring that i didn't read the study (recalling a homer simpson quote about statistics...)

we find support care givers (not dealing with it day to day) prefer the allerject (must say trainer...) i thought dd would prefer it since it is smaller and more discreet etc but she is very committed to epis at the moment - having used them more times than we care for, and having self-administered, epis definitely appeal to her from a confidence aka known & reliable perspective.

what i am looking forward to... when the allerjects expire, using them on a trial basis - whether an orange or a paper cup... epi/twin-jects convey the 'procedure' and i suspect allerject is the same - there is something to be said for USING a real one

personally, i also find the epi really easy to hold & administer - even when i rewind and remember the days when we still had some fear of it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 am 

Thanks for the comments everyone. Renie - I'm curious about your daughter's thoughts on firing a live Allerject once you have an expired one. While my kids have MFA and we have a lot of auto-injectors, I have not had to use one yet, so have only used trainers and expired live ones into plastic containers / oranges etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 am 

yes - once this first script of allerjects expires, we'll have her try them out... i am hoping it will increase her confidence in them.
here's hoping that we won't have any need to use them before that time!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 am 

I have read of many people who have used the Allerject including a young man who had not been trained and everyone said it was easy. I have not yet heard of any negative feedback about the Allerject. (and while I don't get paid by Sanofi I think I should with all the PR I do for them! :happydance )