You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:52 pm 

I have noticed that this forum is mostly about changing laws,worry, frustrations,anger etc. in regards to allergies.

My son and nephew are only 2 months apart to top matters off we lived next door to each other. So I hope you can imagine how inseperable they are.

One day my nephew (then 3) was home with his family and was being extremely silly.
My brother turned to him and said (not thinking literaly) "Oh! You are such a nut!!!!"
Well my nephew burst out crying and said "I can't be a nut!!!!"
My brother asked him why he was so upset just because he called him a nut.
My nephew said "L is allergic to nuts and I won't be able to play with him anymore!"

I found this extremely hilarious!!
It also shows how at such a young age they are able to look out for each other.

Do any of you have a funny story? I would love to hear about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:11 pm 

Well, this is a bit off-colour - but in an innocent childs way.

My son was about 3, and he was taking a bath. While in the tub, he started exploring himself. In total seriousness, he looks at me and say "I guess that's why girls don't have them - 'cuz their 'lergic "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:37 pm 

AnnaMarie,

I Think that is adorable!

I find it amazing how a childs mind works.

When my older son was younger and he didn't want to eat anymore. He would matter of factly state that "Dr. says I'm allergic to _______(whatever he was eating at the time)
and I can't eat it anymore"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:53 pm 

My son went through a period where he was confused about what *alleric* meant. He thought it meant you really really don't like something. He hates peanuts, so, when we said mommy was allergic to them - he assumed that meant I really hated them too.

We were trying to explain to him what it meant - without scaring him. We told him that mommy would get very very sick if she ate peanuts or sesame seeds. And, he would get very very sick if he got bit or stung by one of the insects he's allergic to.

He walked away, shaking his head and mumbling "I told her.....allergic is what you hate"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:44 pm 

You know. Your son isn't wrong. I personally don't have any allergies but my girlfriend was just now at the age of 3? just diagnosed with tree nut allergies. She says that nuts began to taste funny and sort of rancid. She started hating the flavour.

Again my older son (always trying to push his limit) When he was unsure if something was safe or not (not trusting me for some reason) he would first feed it to his little brother who has the same allergies. If he did not have a reaction then he himself would have some.
I didn't know if I should think what a brilliant guy or you little @#! go ahead just kill your little brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 pm 

ROFL That's priceless. I really like your attitude. :)

As for hating allergens - well, I love mine. I love the smell and I love the taste. Please note: people get upset when you stick your nose in their lunch. Explaining that you love the smell does not help the situation. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 am 

Well, my son had us laughing again. He went for allergy testing this week. The doctor did three rows of scratches on each arm and nothing reacted. Then he did a histamin scratch, to make sure he didn't get a false-negative to something. Within minutes the histamin caused a very obvious and itchy hive.

He was telling his older brother about the allergy testing and he said "I'm not allergic to any food. Just histamin.......What kind of food is histamin?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:15 pm 

A few years ago, my youngest was playing in the sand at the park and I was watching from the sidelines. He came running up to me, holding a small piece of brown stuff. Since he's severely milk allergic, my first panicked thought was "Oh no, it's a piece of chocolate!" It was warm and I worried about him getting the melted chocolate all over him.

I was actually relieved to find out it was a piece of sand-covered cat poo.

Only someone living with allergies would have that "reaction"!! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ew gross! :lol:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:22 pm 

i just remembered this one while i was telling a friend i hope to visit in the states about my skin allergies and sensitivites ie that i'll have to have my usual soaps, shampoos, and detergants while i am there... anyway

so one thing that sets my skin allergies going has always been fabric softner (my mother used it once and that's was why i needed allergy tests the first time so NEVER again). when i was little i loved the ads for Snuggle frabric softner because of the adroble little Snuggle bear mascott in the ads. but I knew even then that I was NOT allowed to use that stuff, and i'd tell everyone each time the ads came on!

Anyway when I was about seven my cousin got a bear that looked exactly like the Snuggle Bear (I think it was promotion thing) anyway I thought that I wasn't allowed to PLAY with the teddy bear cause I associted that mascott with my allergies. It's funny how a child's mind works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:19 pm 

My Daughter has been getting "mystery" hives lately. The other day it looked like a lone hive appeared on her chin. She's 2 1/2 and I said to her "I think you might have a hive on your chin, either that or it's a scratch" She says "no, a scratch"

We head to the bathroom to brush her teeth (she's obsessed with this, I don't complain :wink: ) And I show her what I think is the hive on her chin and she proceeds to say "no Mommy, scratch" then she points to a little beauty mark on her cheek and says "food allergies" I have to say though - I'm happy she says those words! When I was talking about the hive I didn't even mention the food allergy part of it.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:14 am 
Site Admin

This is black humour, but effective. People have such trouble understanding cross-contamination and may-contains. They think they can ask: what are you allergic to, avoid those as main ingredients and feed you a supper.

I finally got through to two colleagues who were always inviting me along to their pot luck journalist dinners by explaining that, for me, that would be "pot death" or "pot your luck just ran out'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 pm 

Those are GOOD. ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:07 pm 

Does anyone here remember EdithAnn from Laugh-In (one of the characters Lily Tomlin used to do). Years ago I used to do imitiations of her - and my favourite was one about EdithAnn's little brother having chicken pox. I was absolutely rolling laughing at my grandson recently - and it reminded me of EdithAnn.

The baby (7 months) broke out in hives. We aren't sure exactly what the cause was - two most likely culprits are penicillin or soy. Maybe both. When they were finally clearing up (close to a week), my older grandson (almost 4 years) was at my home. He said that *mommy put polka dots all over the baby and she wouldn't let me connect them*. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:46 pm 

Mommies are no fun!!! :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only