Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Intimacy and allergies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm 

Hi,

I know some may be offended by this topic. If so I appologize now. But I have not found much information on this topic.

I just finished reading an article that was in the April 4th edition of the medical post.

http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/ar ... 95800_6104

It discusses kissing a partner with peanut allergies as in the case in Quebec. However my girlfriend and I were discussing this one day over coffee when my newly diagnosed girlfriend (she is allergic to tree nuts) stated that when she wen't out with her husband He noticed that she had mistakenly picked up a salad with almonds (she was still in the denial stages) so they traded plates and he ate the salad. She also said that she drank some wine with dinner (which her Dr. told her intensifies an allergic reaction by 50%)

What happpens if they become intimate can she have an allergic reaction? We found in one medical website that it is very rare but she can have a reaction however if he has the allergies he would not have a reaction.

Most of the information on allergies that I have is about children because of my sons. Now that my friend has allergies We both have adult oriented questions.

Without going into details :oops: has anyone come across any such experiences or information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

No real data, but if the protiens can cross the placenta or cross over into breast milk it is reasonable to think that it could cross over in other body fluids, isn't it?
Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:02 am 

Sil wrote:
has anyone come across any such experiences or information.

Personal experience, yes.

When I first developed my allergies, my husband was only eating them when he was not at home.

He sweats. A lot. He would sweat into the sheets, and I would absorb it through my pores. He was the one that finally figured out that whenever he ate chinese food - I had reactions through the night. So, he stopped eating it. He also stopped eating buns with sesame seeds on them.

A little over a year ago, it started again. These night-time reactions. He always takes chocolates off the desk of one of the secretaries - and he hadn't really noticed that some of them had peanuts. (My reactions to peanuts have never been as severe as to sesame seeds.) Well, when he realized I was having reactions when he ate those candies, he stopped *stealing* her candy.

I've never actually had a reaction from **. I have absolutely no doubt that I would though.

Now, hubby only eats my allergens when he is away for several days. Then, he also washes his own clothes. I don't insist on that, but he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:11 am 

Hi Sil -

I don't have any info, but I just wanted to say that I don't think your question is at all offensive. It's something that couples dealing with allergies would want and need to know about, so kudos to you for trying to find out some info for your friend.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:15 pm 

In one of the letters to the editor in one of the issues of AL magazine, a doctor wrote in to say that, yes, people have gone into anaphylactic shock after intercourse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:12 pm 

Hi,

I feel as if I just had a "lightbulb moment".
Do you think (I am taking a guess here) Christina Desforges had an anphylactic attack from her boyfriends bodily fluids? From what I read in the article I mentioned at the begining of the post and with the info you have all mentioned and the fact the coroner won't mention what the cause of death was. I honestly think that it is a possibility.

If this was the cause of death. It only makes sense to me that it should be public knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:25 pm 

Out of respect to Christina and to her family, I think we should wait to hear what the coroner says, rather than speculate.

His report should be made public very soon. I was told that it should be out in April.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:28 pm 

I am very sorry.
I did not mean it in a disrespectful way at all.
The point I was trying to make is with no literature or information on this topic I can totally understand (if this was the case) why she or anyone else would have reacted as she did. Therefore I'm sure others would want to be made aware of the danger.

I was in no way wanting to disrespect Christina Desforges her family or friends.
If I have I sincerely appologize.