You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy "laurels"
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:14 pm 

In our town (Gatineau) there is a little variety store that stocks the most allergy-friendly stuff I've ever seen. The depanneur "Jovi" on rue Begin has sweet potato chips, rice milk, and now NoNuttin' granola bars (only major allergens are soy and wheat) -- right there alongside all the unsafe candy by the cash.

Granted, the granola bars cost more than the average chocolate bar, but I almost fell over when I saw them! And I bought a few for my youngest to try, since it's almost impossible to find dairy-free granola bars. (And I've been too lazy to order them from NoNuttin' Foods.)

I asked the woman behind the counter if she sold them by the box, and she said No, but she could order some for me. I mentioned that she sure seemed to have a lot of allergy-friendly foods, and she said she's always looking out for stuff that is peanut and nut-free, because there is a school nearby (which I believe tries to be peanut/nut aware). I guess she didn't realize that the Nonuttin' bars were free of most major allergens.

So I told her that I really appreciated that she stocked that kind of stuff, and that I might just order some Nonuttin' granola bars through her.

So here's a Laurel to someone who is doing right by the allergic community. You don't have to be a big store to do it, either.

:) K.