You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: adult acne products
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 pm 

i was just wondering if anyone knows of anythign that is good for adult acne that is not harsh on the skin, cosmetically my skin breaks out when i use just about anything that's not a baby product (the only things i used that are not j&j baby are oil of olay daily facials and gillette silk shave gel)

anyway my problem is that i've developed acne as an adult (i'm 23, started when i was like 18) as a result of my asthma puffers, i'm not vain enough to quit my puffers, but i am having more and more trouble with my skin, and i just want the darn acne cleared up...

my mother keeps telling me to try some new prodcucts to help, but with the way i've been babying my skin, which makes me even more afraid to try things... aveeno has a line of acne stuff but i've always reacted negativly to their prodcuts (i hate them they over dry my skin) my mother wants to buy me Proactiv but i'm not sure i want to fork out hte money on it, and i've seen adds for spectro but again i don't know what the heck i need... anyone know of anything that's actually hypo allergenic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:36 am 

Hi dustytiger,

Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Perhaps he/she can refer you to a dermatologist. It may be better than buying a bunch of products that do not work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:05 am 

I agree that it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist.

I don't have what you'd call acne, but I still get pimples and I'm over 40 - what's up with that?? ;)

Just in case it takes awhile to get it to see a dermatologist (like where I live - the waiting list is apparently 3 years long... :shock: ) here's what I use. I keep things very simple: SpectroJel to wash my face, and Neutrogena face lotion for

(a) sensitive skin: http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/product_details.asp?id=57

(b) combination skin: http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/product_details.asp?id=68

I'd stay away from the SPF 15 version - it's kind of irritating and seems "thick" which may mean it could clog pores.

Other notes:

1. I saw SpectroJel mentioned on http://www.acne.org/ , which might be a site of interest:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index. ... opic=33382

2. And www.acneguide.ca also has lots of good info about acne and different products to look for:

http://www.acneguide.ca/skin_care/clean ... nsers.html

Hope this helps!

:) K. (born to do research, I think!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:17 am 

storm - i'm gonna try myself first cause i've got a serious white coat phobia and i'll only go see specialsts as a last resort, that and the dermatologist my family doc referred me to last to last time kind of frightened me

k - thanx for all the info!!! that'll be really helpful acne as in clusters of pimples on my cheeks like a teenager... and my dermatographism makes it so that cuts, and such take slightly longer to heal then other ppl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:57 pm 

I know this reply is about a year past the post but maybe someone else is searching about adult acne. I agree you should always check out problems with a qualified doctor...but if you aren't going to go that route for personal reasons then perhaps you should try something new.
Sorry to say ...but I'm not surprised you are reacting....the reason many people are sensitive to skin products, especially on the facial area, is because of the junk that is hidden in most skin care products. Baby products have less junk for obvious reasons...but they still contain a measure of formaldehyde. :shock: .....a preservative which prolongs shelf-life (go call J & J and ask if this is true).
As of this coming Nov./07 make-up companies must label all ingredients in their products so they are currently scrambling to reduce toxins. Go look at your make-up labels...no ingredients listed...that's because the companies are protected by trade secrets...same as for cleaning chemicals. But now the govt. recognizes that chemical additives, especially formaldehyde, are toxic (duh!!!!) :roll: and injurious to our health.
You want good clean products for your home and skin? Try Melaleuca products - have used them for years due to allergies. They have a complete line of Nicole Miller Cosmetics and skin care products at reasonable prices. My friend also had adult acne - she switched to Melaleuca and noticed a big difference....so did her husband. She ran out of them...and the acne came back. Want to know how to get them? Personal message me and I'll tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:41 pm 

I use the marykay acne gel. If I look like I am getting a pimple I can put that stuff on it once or twice and it will never come to a head.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.