You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: thirft store shopping
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:36 pm 

i'm not sure if i should have this here, or in the shopping thread, but evs, here works, i have some scent senativies, as a result of my lovely allergies, but i am also a big time bargin hunter, so thrift stores are my friends

anyway over the past weekend my sister and i went bargin hunting in ottawa, and i discovered that whatever the Salvation army and the Goodwill store were using to clean their totally made my allergies go nuts.

now i'm worried that if i see something that i like i won't be able wash out the smell with my tide free, i know that i have ask my sister to NOT wash my clothes before their return them or i can't get the smell out of them, and thus don't wear them again.

has anyone else noticed a strong chemical cleaner smell in thrift stores, and if so were you able to buy it anyway and get the smell out? i use tide free laundry soap and unscented yellow label no name dryer sheets for my stuff at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:59 pm 

I always thought the Goodwill and Salvation Stores smelled moldy personally.

But seriously, there are also new chemical smells in fabrics these days which are "reactive dyes". And they are potent and CANNOT BE WASHED OUT. They are bonded into the fabric. They are not at all necessary to have in a fabric but it seems to be a new trend that fabrics smell like chemicals. Wish we could get the manufacturers to quit using these dyes because many people like myself become asthmatic if wearing them.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:16 am 

I noticed that my allergies were acting up the last time I was trying on clothes in a thrift shop. I was sneezing and felt that I was coming down with a cold--only I wasn't. It was just allergies. I also sometimes have trouble when trying on new clothes . .. but the reaction was particularly noticeable that time in the thrift shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:17 am 

Why don't you call up Goodwill and ask them what they use?

K.