You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:52 am 

Help! I just received a package from my mum that included Christmas presents. As a 'bonus' she threw in a sachet of apple cinnamon potpourri. And while I am very grateful for her generosity, the smell of the stuff is giving me a massive headache and making me almost nauseous. (This is not a new thing for me -- I hate strong scents! I was in Safeway recently when a bottle of berry flavoured bleach cleanser - ick - was dropped and I could not get out of there fast enough. Talk about evil air quality!)

As for dealing with this... naturally, the first thing I did was quarantine the sachet and all the packaging material -- it is out of the house now. Well, the smell is still really in the gifts and the wrapping paper. So my question is -- can the stink blow off? Should I put them outside to de-gass? Wrap them back up and hide them until Christmas morning? (Oh I hope it isn't in the sfuff....)

I guess I am also going to have to mention this to Mum. Maybe I will wait until I see her next rather than via telephone. I hate it that this type of stuff bugs me so much - it is as bad for me as any kind of smoke or fuel fumes.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
can the stink blow off? Should I put them outside to de-gass? Wrap them back up and hide them until Christmas morning?

I suppose how much scent is absorbed depends on the materials of the gifts. It is said that newspaper will absord smells. That being said the wrapping paper has probably absorbed much of the odour too. Why don't you re-wrap the gifts, wad up some newspapers and stuff them and the gifts into a big box and give it a couple of days?

Telling you mother is a good way to avoid this situation in the future.
Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb