You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 pm 

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere (I'm new so let me know) but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a major reaction to dryer sheets? I'm still trying to figure out if that is what my son reacted to or if it was the laundry detergent (Tide or other kinds). I don't use dryer sheet and I use an environmentally friendly detergent that no one in our family reacts to.

The reaction my son really surprised me. There's been a few times but the biggest reaction was when he was wearing another child's shirt at daycare (his was dirty and there were no extras in his bag). I got a call from daycare saying that they thought he was having some sort of reaction-eyes puffing, super pink/red. Because he hadn't eaten anything new, we gave him Reactine and decided to see if he needed an eipi-pen. The poor kid looked like he had been punched in both eyes. The Reactine worked great-took the itching and readness away within 30 minutes. The swelling took longer to subside. The only conclusion we could come up with was that our son got the sleeves of the shirt wet (when washing his hands) and must have rubbed his eyes at one point. The wet fabric might have made whatever is in those dryer sheets come out? He's since had a couple of similar (but milder) reactions, including sleeping on pillowcases at someone elses home, etc.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?? I was so surprised at how quickly he reacts to it. We've handled it by total avoidance but I'm now concerned about sleepovers, staying at hotels, etc. I realized it's proably a matter of planning ahead but it's another thing to have to add to the list!

7 mth old son-no known allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

We don't use dryer sheets, we use those hard plastic balls that you toss in the dryer and then fluff everything up.

I would suggest that for sleep overs or hotels you bring a sleep sack and pillow case. Fold a sheet in half and sew it across the bottom and up the open side to make a sack. These are helpful to use when camping as well to keep the sleeping bag relatively clean.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:36 pm 

Could the shirt from the other child's bag have been covered in pet hair? Is your child bothered by animals? Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:57 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that your son was OK.
What can we take away from this? A change of clothes needs to be kept at the school/daycare and it should be in a zip lock baggie (I love these) clearly labelled with your childs name. Most children have a cubby where this can be left.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb