You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:40 am 

Hi, :(

For some reason I started to have very, very severe seasonal skin allergic reactions the last couples years. As soon as April comes around I start getting very severe allergic skin reactions to soap or other similar chemicals (in my clothes, etc.). And none of my skin reactions are minor. They are all extremely painful and unbearable.

Hence, I wash my clothes without soap and I'm still reacting allot for some reason. Therefore, the only major trigger that I am aware of is skin contact to soaps or other harsh chemicals (mainly on my clothes).

Anyhow, the allergic skin reactions that I have occur on my back, chest and legs only; only in the form of extrem itching, prickling and burning. It's like these skin reactions go from 0 to 100% hell in under 5 minutes. The only thing that helps the excruicating burning and prickling pain, is running into the shower full steam and running hot water on my needy body parts. Usually within 3 minutes after a severe skin reaction starts, it feels like someone has tossed gasoline on my back and lit it on fire. And extreme prickling really adds to the discomfort. My wife says the skin on my back looks red and irritated but nothing like hives or any other skin disorder we have read about online.

I've had shingles several times in my life and these severe skin (allergic) reactions are at least 2 to 3 times as painful. I'm afraid to leave the house should another reaction occur and I'm not close to water. Because water (ie. going into a shower) is the only thing that helps ease and halt the extreme skin discomfort; usually within 5 to 15 minutes. And no anti-histamine drug treatment to date has helped in any measure.

Right now I'm taking 2 to 4 Claritin (one a day) tablets and it still does nothing to ward off these hellish recurrent, skin episodes. Last year my doctor put me on atarax and multiple other anti-histamine type of medications. But none of these drugs have provided an ounce of relief or prevention.

All things said, I've already had 4 major skin allergic reactions since the last week in March and need to find a solution to this growing problem, soon. I'll be asking my GP for a referral to a qualified allergist ASAP.

Do you have any idea what this skin condition (allergic reactions) might be? And why is the itching-burning-prickling component so extremely painful and unresponsive to any anti-histamine medication, in any dose. And has anyone else experienced severe contact skin reactions to chemicals like soap or the like?

Thanks allot for your help and comments.
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome!

I wonder about Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) as your reactions seem to happen in the spring.

You also said that you are afraid having a reaction when you are out. This makes me think that it is not so much the soap but something else or possibly a combination of the soap and something else.

It doesn't seem to happen every time you are in contact with the soap. It doesn't happen from the sheets of your bed.

Could it be, that in the spring, something changes in your life? Clothes? Diet? Routine (do you participate in different activities which bring you in contact with different possible triggers)?

It can be a pain, but I suggest you keep track of your reactions and what you did, went, ate, lotions, clothes ...etc, perhaps a pattern will emerge.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:25 am 

Hi Susan, :D

Thanks for your comments. Actually, your right ever since April 1st I'm itching all over non-stop but it radiates to different areas of my body. So I'm sure this itchng is majorly associated with spring tree pollen season, as well. The 24 ithing is liveable but aggravating. It's just these attacks I need to stop or get under control somehow.

I wanted to go to my nephews graduaton in a province next to mine. But, I can't because of these extreme skin reactions. If my body temperature gets above normal and I start sweating, the ithing attack starts to manifest big time.

To be honest with you I am terrified to leave my house right now. I've been on disability for chronic head pain and chronic fatgiue for 10 years now.

And thanks for your tips on Oral Allergy Syndrome. Because this itching is the worst in the spring hay fever season. So seasonal and non-seasonal allergies are playing a big role with my skin problems.

And yes I will have a major attack every time I come into contact with any soap products. But, why is the itching so extreme that I'm literally yelling and running into the shower. I can't even describe it as itching it is so excruciating tormenting. I almost commited suicide last year because the pain was so unrelenting etc. I also cope with 24 hr head and jaw pain from a drunk driver hitting my car 15 years ago.

I'm afraid to do anything outside or I'll start itching like mad within 30 minutes.
And even if I take 3 (one a day Claritin) it doesn't help out at all. I spent 10 weeks inside last year because I couldn't even mow the lawn from hay fever full body itching.

However, I highy recommend Gold bond lotion for hay fever skin ithcing. It is the "only" product that gave me relief after I take showers. It works great for minor to moderate itching only. I tried every lotion on the market and Gold bond is the best, hands down for skin itchng and redness.

Anyhow, do you have any idea how to lower the PH of your skin. Apparently, this will help body or skin itching tremendously. I tried baking soda in bath water for this already. I can't remember if it helped but will try it again ASAP. I was also wondering if Epsom salts would help too. Any ideas on this front?

I'm also going to start documenting the time and circumstances around these attacks. I'm sure it will ease my anxiety majorly as well. Thanks for all your great tips.

Your help is greaty appreciated.
Rascalfire