You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 pm 

I have been asked if I could post this question. Does anyone have any recommendations? Here is the question:

I am a senior with multi-chemical allergies and I am looking for some of the new "green" products that do a really great job. I'm thinking of an all purpose cleaner to wash the floors, the shower tiles and bathtub. I've tried vinegar, but it just doesn't do the job. Also, I need something to wash the dishes with. with so many "green"cleaning products on the market now, that I just don't know where to begin. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hi there,

I heard about Dr Bronners soap some time ago and we use it for liquid hand soap (diluted and in a 'foaming' dispenser), shampoo, and I will switch to it for dishes when my current dishsoap runs out. http://well.ca/brand/dr-bronners-magic-soap.html This main site also talks about other uses: http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.html#faq6

We use vinegar for some things, and also baking soda as a scouring powder for kitchen and bathroom. I find the vinegar works great for windows and mirrors.

Apart from that, I just go to my local health food store and buy my cleaning products there. Some stores will have a person there who can recommend products to you as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Allergic Living mag. has covered a lot of great ones.

I like/often use Seventh Gen's line of products, plus the Attitude line (which is from Quebec).

http://www.cleanattitude.com/en/product ... ll_purpose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am 

Thank you for your replies! If anyone has any other recommendations, please feel free to share. I'm sending them along as I receive them. Thanks so much!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 am 

I know this is an old post but I wanted to weigh in on this one. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (13 years) along with several allergies to foods and pollens etc. from a chemical exposure. I use the above mentioned Seventh Generation and Nature Clean products, I also use baking soda and vinegar. I use the Nature Clean All Purpose Cleaner for the floors you really only need a bit and rinse well after. I clean the tub and sinks with baking soda. I use one of the miracle cloths to do my mirrors. For laundry I rotate between Nature Clean and just plain soap flakes always rinsing with vinegar. It is sometimes hard to get the chemical smell out of new items. I have to soak them in baking soda and soap flakes several times, air them out and then rewash in the Nautre Clean. I try not to try too many products because it can set me back if they don't work. Good luck, I know how hard it is to go through this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 am 

Thank you loumac! I appreciate you replying to my original post. I will pass this information along.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm 

I have troubles using chemicals in my house, I end up with a bad headache and huge guilt from using them around my children... I've gone to using mainly microfibre cloths and plain water for most cleaning. In the bathroom I use Borax for the toilet and tub. Vinegar and water for windows. If I need a deep clean I use a natural all purpose cleanser from the organic store, most are fine as long as they are all natural. Norwex is a product line that has been good to me, but there are a few others like it too.

I have tried the Castile soap (Dr. Bronner's) and didn't like it at all, but others swear by it.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm 

I LOVE the norwex glass towel. Just water this towel and messy bathroom mirrors are sparkling. :thumbsup
I cannot use some of their products as they have coconut in them. This must be good for cleaning as I have seen it in "green" cleaning products quite a bit. Just a reminder green does not mean allergy free.