* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 pm 

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/educati ... sk-in-peel

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

ACK! :frightened Look at all of those greasy hands grubbing up the desks and backs of the chairs! The only thing that gives me peace of mind is that for my daughter, she will typically respond with immediate hives upon contact with this allergen. It's kind of the canary in the coal mine alerting her to the fact that she has touched her allergen. Do our kids need to livein fear of a reaction or be stupified by anti-histamines during class lessons.

My daughter's school did away with school wide pizza days and pizza parties for celebrations/rewards. :goodidea

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

How completely one-sided this article is.

Starting with the pizza lunches being "at risk" in the headline. The poor, poor pizzas! :damnedcomputer

Maybe if someone talked about the risks to the dairy allergic kids and how to manage/mitigate this article wouldn't be so annoying.

But even if the pizza day was confined to one big classroom and wipes were used, there's still another issue: pizza day in an anachronism in a world where kids are increasingly overweight or obese. Most pizzas would be 3 times the calories they should have at lunch.

And here we go again ...
Quote:
"We should be working to put procedures in place so we can live with the allergy instead of giving these kids a false sense of security.”

If I had a buck for every time I saw this trotted out. I'll say it again: those of us with food allergies never have a false sense of security. What we do have is extreme discomfort if completely surrounded by a food we're allergic to. Especially a smeary one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 pm 

I'm thinking the argument against pizza day has to be pushed on the basis of exclusion on top of allergy - as there will always be some child that cannot participate for many reasons. I don't think there was a huge focus on that in the article. If fails to capture how much children must be set aside from the rest of the class - and for no great benefits.

No child loses out by not being able to purchase food at school that day - they still all get to bring in their own lunches and can be well nourished to participate in the day's EDUCATIONAL activities.

By removing food events in the school, we are only returning to when schools did not revolve around food fundraisers etc.

I think the myth that it is only one child is well over reflected in the growing number of children with food allergies, diabetes, caeliac, obesity etc...

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

All good points, Ginger.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 am 

I'm surprised :verymad to see the quote from AAIA that pizza shouldn't be a problem. Each case is individual. Some kids may be touch sensitive to wheat...a lot are very sensitive to dairy, and pizza is a problem for them. Each school needs to be able to make decisions based on their own student population. What she said was not helpful, and someone supposedly representing people with asthma and allergies should know better.