Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 pm 

http://www.tartcider.com/blog/archives/ ... space.html

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archive ... l#comments

People with allergies are only mildly inconvienienced!!!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ignorant people on ignorant forums. I guess that we just need to know they are out there and that we can only educate those who wish to be. Those who wish to spread toxicicity will.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and these types of peope purposefully search out just enough information to sound informed.
I choose which forums to spend my time at and those types just upset me so why bother.
I like it here! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:00 pm 

I understand your frustration reading such an article.I have not read it, likely will not. I only keep to this site. Unless someone suggests a good/positive read on a well known site. Keep in mind though that most people, unless you or someone close to you suffers from life threatening allergys, are simply not going to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

My, my, the level of ignorance about allergies expressed there is rather breathtaking.

Frankly, I wouldn't have posted this under "Allergies In the News" - as it just shows the problem with a lot of blogs: ill-informed rants masquerading as fact. Perhaps we need a topic in this section: "In the Dark" - for reporting on such twaddle. It's really not "news" (OK, I say this as a journalist, so I'm fairly literal in my definition of "news".)

Take the beginning, from topic initiator Chris Selley,
Quote:
You'll find this little nugget on the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology's website, for instance:
Peanut allergies in children increased two-fold over a five-year period from 1997 to 2002. That is impossible to believe. Either it isn't what it seems to be or it must be one of the greatest medical mysteries of all time.

Uh yeah, it is a mystery, which is why scientists are so deeply into research. But hey, why believe an organization of world leaders in clinical immunology when one can choose to believe Chris (doctorate of?) on a site dedicated to roadkill. Sigh.

I'm glad some of you chose to spare yourself from reading this. It's probably not good for the blood pressure. The funny thing is, people sometimes accuse those with allergies or allergic kids of being zealots. And yet you read the entries here and see how reasoned and rationale people are by comparison to that stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:51 pm 

I actually don't like reading those kinds of things either. Someone I know pointed it out to me. I find it helpful to know that yes, those ideas do exist in the minds of others, and there are people out there trying to "inform" others through stupid sites like that, making things more difficult for those with allergies.

The trouble is, sometimes the readers, and responders of those articles are our kids classmates/sportsmates parents. Yes, eating peanut butter and going into the dance class without washing your hands, and the dance today requires the girls to hold hands, does endanger my kid. I find that knowing what uninformed ideas might be circulating out there helps when we as parents must convince others about how their actions or their kids actions affect our kids.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

SaskMommy,

Know what you mean. Might as well be aware of "the other side", even when it's disturbing. I'm not kidding when I suggest a thread called "In the Dark". We'll start it for the next one of these we see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:49 pm 

What's that saying? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

It does "help" to know what ignorant people are spouting, if only to be prepared if someone someday throws something at you (I'm thinking words, not objects) "out of left field".

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 pm 

Gwen,

I think you said it all in the last 2 paragraphs of your Editor's Note in the Spring issue. Image