Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:19 pm 

Here is a shocking report on toxins that were found in children and adults:

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti ... ies_060601

Gee, is is any wonder that our poor bodies are plagued with allergies and asthma? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 pm 

Scary! Here's another link to this story:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/06/01/toxic-bodies.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:16 am 

Nicole,

I have been feeling frustrated lately in regards to this...here's why.

First, found out unscented, hypoallergenic baby dove contains almond oil. Why...to cover the harsh chemical smell. Why the harsh chemicals...we use it on babies!

Then, disovered ivory soap (laundry too) contains animal fat and a ton of harmful chemicals. So, when your doctor tells you to double rinse to help your eczema child he really means it.

Then, realized that the majority of my daughters 3 year ezcema suffering, and countless sleepless nights had to do with chemically treated flame retardent pjamas.

Womens antiperspirant...contains alluminum...causes breast cancer. :shock:

And the list goes on and on and on.

So, I use ecover products now, and lots of organic foods. Also like "kiss my face" olive oil soap (ingredients olive oil, water, salt).

I found I was sweating a lot with regular antiperspirant...so the medical advise is to use a prescription one with more cancer causing alluminum. :roll:

So, I heard that sweat is your bodies way of trying to rid itself of toxins...so I bought Jason organic deodorant and continued lots of organic foods...and limited exposure to chemicals with ecover cleaners. I sweated like crazy for a week or so, and had a few headaches. I have heard that when you start to detox yourself of chemical exposure sweating and headaches are normal for a very short time. Anyways, now I use organic deodorant, hardly sweat and it does not smell when I do. The head aches are gone and I feel great. So I am convinced that the chemicals need to go. Glad I did not opt for the prescription antiperspirant!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:21 am 

Wow, Saskmommy, I thought Ivory was pure! I mean, animal fat is not so bad (no wonder my dog likes to lick it!) but I thought it had no chemicals in it.

And I used to use baby Dove on my babies!

Where do you find "Kiss my face" soap? Do they have a liquid version?

And those flame retardant pyjamas! I know some children wearing synthetic fabric were badly burned by being near stoves or open flames, but is it any better if they get cancer and who knows what else?

By the way, good old vinegar is a great cleaner for a number of things and the only cleaner you can ingest (not very tasty, but it won't poison you!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:53 am 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Womens antiperspirant...contains alluminum...causes breast cancer. :shock:

Saskmommyof2, I believe that is still undetermined. Here's a link with some info: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/antiperspirant.asp

However, I do strongly agree that we don't need to be putting extra toxins in our bodies. Anti-perspirants always seem to give me a rash, especially the "invisible" gel ones. I'm going to look into organic deodorants. Thanks for the tip. :D Can you recommend any specific brands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:05 am 

Hey Storm -- just thought I'd add my 2 cents - I've tried a number of "natural" deoderants over the years and would find that by the end of the day, well, let's just say, I wasn't smelling so "fresh" :lol: ! I haven't tried it yet personally, but my mom and sister say Tom's of Maine has one of the better ones on the market (they use the deoderant stick). I'll be buying it once my current one is done. http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:06 am 

I started to use natural deodorants gradually.....I'm still in a transition phase (I use regular antiperspirant on some days). I have been noticing a difference lately too....at first I was concerned with the natural stuff because it didn't work as well for me as antiperspirants...but I think my body has adjusted. I'm currently using Jason with tea tree oil...it works for me.

The woman behind the cosmetic counter at the Big Carrot suggested anything with tea tree oil or citrus is good because it is antibacterial. There was one brand she said that a lot of people have been recommending (with neither of those ingredients)....but it was way more expensive so I didn't buy it....can't remember the brand name. I'll take a look the next time I'm in and try to remember to post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:21 pm 

For deodorant I have been using the Jason aloe vera one. I had the lavender one but did not like the smell. I found that mid day I was not so fresh...but that only lasted a few weeks. I think my body just needed to rid itself of what had built up from years of not being allowed to sweat with antiperspirant. It is now available at superstore!!! Great article storm...it kind of makes sense that I experienced heavy sweating that did not smell so good for a few weeks...glad I kept it up 'cause it does not happen anymore. I had been wiping my 'pits mid day and reapplying during my toxin release phase. I think that the less chemicals you consume the less your sweat will stink as well.

Kiss my face soap is actually now at walmart. I have not seen a liquid. I think if there was a liquid it would probably have to contain more ingredients, and probably a preserative. We had always used liquid, but we like the bar soap in a dish...just like the good old days! It seems to leave the skin feeling moisturized as well...the kids have been using it in the tub and we love it! I still have a pump soap for guests who wash when they enter my home so they do not contaminate the bar.

I have been sleeping my daughter in 100% cotton regular day time clothes. Synthetic stuff like polyester, fleece etc. is the stuff that melts and catches fire so easily.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 pm 

Thanks Saskmommy, I will look for "Kiss my face". I think since it doesn't have a lot of ingredients, it's nice and safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the Marketplace story about carcinogens in...just about everything. Mr Clean Magic Eraser contains formaldehyde.
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/cancer/
Clearly our Canadian label laws need to be changed to hep consumers make informed choices. I would think this is something that all consumers should be asking for, nt just those with allergies.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:39 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Clearly our Canadian label laws need to be changed to hep consumers make informed choices. I would think this is something that all consumers should be asking for, nt just those with allergies.

I agree, _Susan_! Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:29 am 

Susan,

thanks for the link. that's a really good documentary.

Wendy Mesley's concern about formaldehyde reminded me of an abstract I read in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. (volume 117, no. 2, supplement, page S23):

Low Exposure to Inhaled Formaldehyde: Effect on Allergen Bronchial Response in Asthmatics Sensitized to Mite" -study conducted by A. Casset, C. Marchand, A. Purohit et al. (all the researchers are affiliated with centres of medical research in France)

Quote:
RATIONALE:Formaldehyde, a widespread domestic indoor pollutant, has been shown to increased [sic] the risk of childhood asthma for concentrations above 60µg.m‾3 (the 3 is supposed to be in superscript...don't know how to do that). The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of pre-exposure of low dose formaldehyde (corresponding to the World Health Organisation recommended value for indoor environment 100µg.m‾3 during 30 minutes) on bronchial response to Dermatophagoides pteronyssus. [<=editorial comment. i take it that this is Latin for dust mite.]

[the researchers tested the effect of levels of formaldehyde just below the WHO recommended value. the effect of formaldehyde exposure on bronchial response was *immediate*. skipping down to the conclusion....]

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: Our study demonstrated that exposure to low levels of formaldehyde enhanced a significant increase in bronchial responsiveness to mite allergen in asthmatics sensitised to mite.

If this study is deemed reliable and conclusive....and it certainly seems like it is to me...I think allergists should add formaldehyde on the list of things to avoid in their environmental allergy booklets. (I'm not sure what all formaldehyde is in. But it is clearly in a variety of household products. What about particle board? Should people with a dust allergy just buy solid wood?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:45 am 

Here's some info on formaldehyde. It's in a lot of things, including construction materials (plywood, carpet...) and even toothpaste.

It has a lot of uses, embalming being one of them. Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:14 pm 

Thanks, Storm. one more question. anyone know how long it takes before most of the formaldehyde in carpeting, plywood, paste board, whatever evaporates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:32 pm 

Storm, I adore that little green guy!! He should be added to the list of emoticons because he expresses what a lot of allergic people feel like! LOL.

Kidding aside, one of the moms at my dd's dance studio is a cleaning lady and she cannot use commercial cleaning products anymore. She makes her own cleaning products with natural essential oils, because she reacts to commercial cleaning products. She says she has talked to other cleaning ladies and it's not an unusual problem. I can imagine after breathing fumes for years, they must get sensitive.

I'm also always kind of weary of all the products you spray around the house to mask odors, such as Febreze and Glade, etc.. You're really just spraying more chemicals in your environment.

Helen, that study on formaldehyde causing an increased sensitivity to dust mites might well explain the increase in asthma.

Perhaps I should have voted for the Green Party after all!!! LOL!