* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:39 pm 

Formaldahyde a preservative is vaccinations. :shock:

From the article Susan posted,

Quote:
"There are no companies that are devoted to cancer prevention as there are to cancer treatment," says Dr. James Holland. "There’s no incentive economically for them

Yikes...I've thought about that for a while in relation to health care as a whole...but I was surprised that a doctor actually admitted it in relation to cancer.

About fruits and veggies containing harmful chemicals...that risk can be eliminated by buying organic. Even though my city is not that large, superstore has really expanded their "pc organics" produce, to the point that I buy the majority of my fruits and veggies there. I have noticed other stores (sobeys, safeway) increasing their organic selections as well...but superstore still has the most.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 pm 

Here's a follow up story:

Environment Minister Rona Ambrose has accepted a challenge from an environmental group to have her blood and urine tested for toxic contamination.

Ambrose agreed to be tested at the request of Toronto-based Environmental Defence, which has been raising alarms about contamination of Canadian children.

On Thursday, the group released results showing that the bodies of seven children tested are contaminated by a cocktail of toxic chemicals ranging from PCBs to flame retardants.

Full article here: http://tinyurl.com/jws4r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:02 pm 

Sounds like good reading Storm...but the link does not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:08 pm 

Didn't work for me either, but I googled the first sentence and found this:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national ... bacb1dfa48

Is that the one, Storm?

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:21 pm 

Thanks Karen.

Great article Storm.

I mean, is it really any wonder so many kids (primarily, but adults too) with chemical sensitivities and food allergies to food full of chemicals. With the growing number of kids allergic to peanuts does anyone stop and ask the question "what is wrong with those peanuts" rather than "what is wrong with all those kids"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:43 am 

Yes, that's the same article... although the link works for me (the server gets busy sometimes and you have to try two or three times).

It will be interesting to see what the Minister's results will be... but we will have to wait until the fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 pm 

I found one of those good "what can we do about the problem" sites

http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.htm

I particularly like the kick the junk food out of school and encourage schools growing organic gardens idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:09 pm 

I had to share this with you all since I have been thinking about it for a few days now. Thought I'd post it here since it refers to putting more crap into kids...and pop seems to be considered full of chemicals.

A few local schools (our would have been future school was one of them) took a large group of students out to plant trees. I heard it on the radio as I was driving home from the health food store. I thought hey, thats nice.

Then the radio guy started thanking our local coca cola bottlers for providing the kids with "all the pop they could drink" and a grocery store for providing hot dogs. The kids were only out there a short time...and only planted about 5 small seedlings each. The radio guy interviewed a girl (about 10) about going to the lake in the summer, rainy days and how much fun it is to stay inside and eat lots of junk food and pop. He totally steered the conversation to be an advertisment for junk...bypassed discussing the tree planting and went into praising the "junk food sponsors". He then added "this summer when you are going to the lake stock up on chips, pop, and all that "fun" stuff at the grocery store and support the local bottlers for "stepping up to the plate" and providing beverages for the kids planting trees."

The whole radio add, sponsoring thing, junk given to kids once again in the name of a good time really bothered me. I am pretty sure pop is banned from the schools...so what...the kids leave the school for a 2 hour field trip and they are fair game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:22 am 

I know...your story makes me think about a parenting magazine I was reading -- it had a feature article on "feeding your child healthy food" and picking healthy food options for your child. Then as I leafed through the remainder of the magazine, I realized that the majority of the ads were for kid's junk food. To me, it's such a contradiction. I recognize that magazines rely on advertising dollars, but that sort of thing just rubs me the wrong way. It's transparent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 pm 

Aaah, the all mighty dollar! That story about the tree planting was incredible.
I wonder if the pop company organized that whole tree planting thing. It sounds like a very altruistic gesture but really, it's just an excuse to advertise pop. Really, the school shouldn't have accepted this kind of sponsoring. Planting the trees should have been its own reward and certainly not strenuous enough to require all those calories. The grocery store should have provided water and fruit, if anything.

I don't like pop, we drink very little compared to most people I know. What people don't realize is that it's not only full of sugar, it's full of sodium! Not to mention that the rest of the ingredients are all fake.

As for magazines advocating healthy living, then turning around and advertising junk food, they're not really part of the solution, they're part of the problem.

And that's my rant for the day. :)

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:09 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Mr Clean Magic Eraser contains formaldehyde.

Just an update to this. Mr. Clean has issued a statement. Here are some excerpts:

Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine- sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word "formaldehyde" in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks. Think of this name like "sodium chloride", which is table salt. Sodium by itself can be dangerous, but sodium chloride - salt - is safe.

It is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. Even then, the amount present is significantly lower than standards established by governmental agencies and trade associations, and is actually less than what is found in indoor air.

Complete info here:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

I still wouldn't use it though! :?