You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:03 am 

Quote:
The rate of accidental ingestion of peanut is down in Canada for those with peanut allergies, according to a study. .......... Yu noted that peanut consumption in Canada is similar to the United States, but many Canadian schools have peanut-safe areas and the country also has some of the strictest food-labeling regulations in the world.

Full article:

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/ ... 4353-7885r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:07 pm 

Well, what do you know? For once, we're ahead in something! Good for us! :D

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:03 pm 

Seems like peanut free schools really do reduce the chances of reactions for the peanut allergic! When I read this, I thought of Nick's science project (the one featured in an issue of Allergic Living).

I think this study would be an eye-opener for people who don't understand why parents of allergic children are wary of letting their kids eat at relatives' and friends' homes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:29 am 

Quote:
I think this study would be an eye-opener for people who don't understand why parents of allergic children are wary of letting their kids eat at relatives' and friends' homes!

You would think, but people are so hard to educate!

We were at my in-laws last night and I am questioning my MIL about all the foods. This is not the first time we have been there since my daughter's reaction in February and I have given them websites to consult, they suscribe to the Star and to McLean's, which means they would have read the special Star section and the article that appeared in McLeans 2 weeks ago, and yet I had to repeat 3 or 4 times to her that my daughter can't eat the bread from the bakery, the croutons in the salad (she couldn't remember which brand they were because she puts them in a container), the dessert because it contained raisins from the Bulk Barn, the ice cream she offered as an alternative, because it wasn't Chapman's. I said she can only eat Chapman's. She said "I have some!". Turned out it was Chapman's sugar free (she's diabetic) and therefore made in a different plant. I had to point out the "May contain", and I repeated that you have to read labels everytime. My daughter did one of these : :roll: !!

My brother-in-law said to "just take the croutons out of the salad"...Yikes! This is a guy who reads scientific magazines all the time! Then my MIL said that next time she'll make an oil and vinegar salad only for my daughter. I had to repeat that Kraft dressing was fine, it was the croutons we didn't know about. A minute later, she repeated that she'll try and remember next time to make an oil and vinegar salad just for my daughter. Again my daughter did one of these: :roll: (To me only, of course).

Then there's my SIL who thinks that organic peanuts would probably be fine.....

My MIL wants the girls to come spend a few days this summer (even though it's just a 45 min. drive) and my SIL wants them to come spend a week-end on her boat...I'm already trying to figure out excuses!!

I trust my daughter, but I can't trust my MIL to remember stuff!

She's so self-centered that she'll talk about her diabetes ad nauseum to us, she makes sure not to miss an opportunity to tell us she's diabetic (even though she doesn't take meds and controls it very well with her diet), to the point where she will even demonstrate how she checks her blood, but she's not willing to learn a single thing about my daughter's allergy! I know she's not young, but she shows no concern!!

It is definitely harder to educate adults.

Thank you for listening to my rant. Just as we were starting to think we were managing this very well, and my daughter wasn' t so anxious anymore, we get this. It's as if people don't want to deal with this.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated, it seems everything I tell them falls into deaf ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:40 pm 

I have trouble getting my grandmother to understand too...but I'm at the point where I just cook for myself when I stay at my grandparents' place. She *does* understand anaphylaxis since she herself is anaphylactic to bee stings (but does not carry an epipen) and she raised one peanut allergic child (who never did grow out of his allergy. the last time i checked he does not carry an epipen either). But my grandmother doesn't always get cross contamination issues, etc.

Nicole, do you think it would be easier if you just brought your daughter's food when you visit? It might offend your mil at first, but once it is instituted as the new plan, she might get used to the idea. in the long run, it might be less stressful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:02 pm 

Hi Helen,

I think that's what I will do. I was going to bring bread and we forgot it on the counter. I thought that would drive the point home... If I start doing it with all the food, perhaps something will sink in!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:34 pm 

A very good book that I've been reading recently is The Complete Peanut Allergy Handbook. It's written for those with a peanut allergy, but frankly, anyone with a severe food allergy will benefit. It gives a lot of good information about allergies in very understandable language. I realize that it might be asking a lot of extended family to read it, but maybe it would give you some good quotes. :)

Chapters has it ( http://tinyurl.com/eb4qa ), and Anaphylaxis Canada does too ( http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/livin ... alogue.asp ). It's a good investment.

And it does mention bringing safe foods along when visiting friends and relatives. We do that a lot, and it really does lessen the stress - for everyone, once the hosts get over the fact that they can't supply all the food. :?

You're right, though, Nicole. It does sometimes feel like it's "5 steps forwards and 4 steps back" when people don't remember things, especially when a life is at stake.

K.

P.S. I will post this in Resources too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:17 pm 

Thank you Karen, I will see if I can get it.

We will get the results of my daughter's RAST in a month. If she is positive, I will then buy everybody a copy! I did go ahead with a Medic-Alert though, for $35, I wasn't going to take a chance. If she turns out to be negative for peanuts/nuts, we can just replace it for one with asthma only.

The problem is I don't know if the family is taking us seriously or if they think that I am being obnoxious and overreactive. This is the hard part, getting through to them that it is serious, and until we know for sure, we have to do everything as if she is positive. Because I am the one who was at the hospital with her, though, and seeing her all swollen and red, I know that she is allergic and I have made my peace with it. She understands and gets it, a lot of her friends get it, but the family seems to be taking it lightly.

Oh well, we are learning and I made a point of asking all these questions about the food also to show my daughter what to do , that she can't be shy about asking questions.

It's funny how I can usually let things go, but all of a sudden, I'm assertive. It takes something like this to make you act!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 pm 

Nicole,

If I may, I just want to give you a 'pat on the back' for being assertive and catching all those mistakes at your in-laws. It's can be difficult, especially if you are normally "the quiet one". It also makes for a not very enjoyable visit, and very stressful.
My 3-yr old was diagnosed just over a year ago, and each visit to my in-laws has been a real eye-opener. Similar routine to what you described, with the Bulk Barn ingredients, and the sister-in-law who thinks she knows but she doesn't.
Anyway I won't rant today, but really just wanted to congratulate you on being so aware of your daughter's needs; I'm sure this will really help her to cope with similar situations on her own in the future.
Your story also helps me remember I am not alone in dealing with inlaws who don't get it, so thanks for that. I have now come to learn that nothing I say is really going to make them understand. They will either come to the understanding on their own, or they won't. We will adjust our lives accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:16 pm 

Thank you for your comments Catherine. It's funny you say "We will adjust our lives accordingly" because I am finding out that when you deal with allergies, you want to adjust the world around you but you can't, really. It's you who has to adjust to the world.

When I see vending machines in public places full of children like the Science centre, with peanut products, it makes me cringes but I can't change that, so we deal with it. Same thing with people, especially older generations or people who come from countries where there's hardly any allergies, because they have never dealt with it. When you mention food allergies to them, sometimes they look at you like you have three heads!

Oh well, we're learning!