You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:00 pm 

Martin Mittelstaedt, Environment Reporter Globe and Mail

Gas from heavily chlorinated water could damage young lungs, making them more susceptible later to developing asthma, researchers suggest.
The elevated incidence of asthma in wealthy Western countries has long puzzled researchers seeking to explain why affluence would be associated with a debilitating respiratory ailment. Now, a handful of studies suggests at least part of the answer may be the exposure of young children to the heavily polluted air emanating from chlorinated indoor swimming pools.

This so-called "pool chlorine hypothesis" has received a boost from these papers, including one study that found the incidence of the disease among European children closely tracks the number of pools in a country, and another based on a survey in Belgium that found the most consistent predictor of whether a child would develop the disease, after a family history of allergies or asthma, was high pool use.

For full story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... %27s+lungs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:32 pm 

Thanks for the link! I sent it on to my sister. Her daughter has asthma and swims all summer long. It's something all parents should be aware of.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:19 am 

That makes absolute sense! Wanting to be good and safe parents, we took our girls to baby swim classes as soon as we could, because my in-laws had a pool and we thought the sooner they could swim, the better, to be safe.

In hindsight, perhaps it would have been better to wait, or only take swimming lessons in the summer, outdoors.

Perhaps public pools should consider switching to salt water systems.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm 

My daughter has been affected by this. Her stamina in the pool has significantly decreased over the past couple of years. She used to keep up or pass the other kids in her swim classes. Now, she can barely do a lap without stopping out of breath. So, she's done with swimming lessons for now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:15 am 

That's an interesting article. Makes sense. I know someone who was a lifeguard at an indoor pool when he was a young person (but this was many, many years ago so maybe they used way too much chlorine)....he said that his nylon jacket started to deteriorate (he thought it was from the chlorine fumes) and after that he never went swimming in chlorinated pools again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:21 pm 

Another article on the hazards of indoor pool use as related to asthma and wheezing in children. I found this quote interesting:
Quote:
Professor Bernard said that taking babies to swimming classes before the age of 2 years could be harmful if there was a history of asthma in the family.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 76,00.html