* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:13 pm 

Councillors vote to educate public on perils of perfume
Last updated Jun 1 2006 03:52 PM EDT
CBC News

Ottawa councillors voted Thursday [June 1] to start a public education campaign to get people to voluntarily stop wearing scented products, but stopped short of calling for a scents ban.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-scent20060601.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I meant to post this sooner but got busy. There has been quite a lot of debate around here about this recently.

Thought it might help some of you who are dealing with this issue. (And I have to say, every time I hear Rick Chiarelli being quoted, I'm not impressed....)

K.

P.S. Just in case the news story every disappears, the link to the Ottawa proposal is at http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityco ... C-0005.htm . It has a list of environments that have gone scent free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:12 am 

I couldn't read the story (it disappeared), but thanks for posting the document. This is an interesting development. I have to say, though, that this is the first time that I've heard that the U of T has a scent reduction policy. (Not that I've had any trouble...I'm not that sensitive to perfumes. Perfume does bother me sometimes if it is very strong...and if I have to be near someone wearing perfume for an extended amount of time..but I don't react to all scented products.)

The problem though for people who are very sensitive: "unscented" sometimes means that the fragrance has been masked with chemicals. So places that are serious about being scent-free hand out lists of products that are safe. (Did you see my post earlier about that Mennonite university in Western Canada? Now *they* are serious about being scent-free.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:22 pm 

That's weird - I'm looking at it right now. And it couldn't be in a cache, because I just found it last night.

I can PDF it if you want a copy. Let me know by PM.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:48 pm 

I can see it too. Sometimes the server gets too busy and it appears as a blank page. Keep trying... it's there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:14 pm 

i'm really excited about this, i live just outside of ottawa and work in the city of ottawa itself apperently they're even trying to apply it to public transit!!! which is GREAT cause that's how i get around, and i've actaully had someone on the bus start spray perfume cause "the bus smelled bad" i freaked on the girl cause i was sitting right near her, luckily i was able to switch seats and open a window and i was able to not react too badly nor need to get off and take the next bus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:19 am 

Thanks, Karen and Storm. I see the article now! Don't know what happened before :?