Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 pm 

Hello,

Here is an update. I spoke with the people at Duke. They are incredibly nice.

Unfortunatly it looks like my son may not be able to enroll at this time. They think that we live too far away (8 hours driving) to ensure his safety. Basically for those of you who do not know, the protocol requires that they have you come to Duke to determine what level of peanut powder you can tolerate. Tthen they send you home with a maintenance dose just below that level that you take once a day for two weeks. Then you go back after two weeks, they up the dose, then you go home and take the higher maintenance dose, come back, etc for 9-11 months. This would be very taxing but we were stilll willing to consider it.

However, what I didn't know is that it is not out of the realm of possiblity that someone could have a reaction to the maintenance dose once they return home. IF that happens, you have to return to Duke the next day. So for us, potentially multiple 8 hour-one-way trips to Duke in any given week just isn't feasible (or more importantly not safe).

When I called them last Sept or Oct, they had about 20 people signed up as interested in the study (with 30 total slots available). Now that there is all the media attention, they have 200+ people signed up.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that if this actually does work then we can all have access to this type of therapy.

We are pretty bummed out here. But Sam is only 14 months old so I am still optimistic that he will be able to get the therapy at some point. Hopefully they don't find that age is an important variable (that in fact the therapy works better for younger kids).

We will see..... :?

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:37 pm 

Thanks for keeping us updated! I too am very hopeful that the research going on right now will result in a benefit to all (let's hope sooner than later!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 pm 

Thanks from me too for the update. I'm sorry that it likely won't work out for you, but it's good that they are taking the health and safety of the participants so seriously.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:07 pm 

My daughter has an appointment with Dr. Burks next week. I am very nervous...but excited about meeting him. I have just recently talked with a parent of a child that is involved in the study and is doing wonderfully. I'm just going to ask every question I can think of....hear what he has to say, and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:55 pm 

Thanks Tara - keep us posted!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Just FYI, Allergic Living mag. is interviewing Dr. Burks and doing a story on the progress of his studies. Coming up in the Spring issue in April.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Update on the study out of Duke University.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/200 ... ies?page=1
Quote:
"No one should try this at home," Nash cautions. The concept is still in the research phases, and Nash says it's difficult to say when allergists might begin adopting the practice.

Parents in the study were told to contact the center if they suspected reactions; most reactions occurred in the clinic, not at home, Nash says.

More research is needed, he says, to prove the concept safe and effective.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb