Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Aquafresh - pa content
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Admin

One of our Nova Scotia subscribers alerted us to a report on TV in the States last night about peanut oil in Aquafresh. An allergic child a mild stomach reaction.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/9 ... index.html

A company spokesman confirmed to the child's mother that the oil was in the product, but said there wasn't a warning on the label because it was not a food!

I'll check with GlaxoKline in Canada to see if the ingreds are the same here. Will let you know as soonest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:42 am 

:shock: OMG!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 pm 

Does anybody know if there are any other toothpastes in Canada that also use peanut oil that are not labelled? What are the Canadian laws on labelling products such as toothpastes and deoderants, soaps, shampoos and sunscreen and vitamin pills? and detergents for washing clothing and detergents for dishwashers?

joelle
son with pa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:37 pm 

remember when buying bottled water, it is UNregulated, there could be just about anything in that water as a result, you should worry more about what in bottled water then in tap water!

if you are in a sitatuation where your water is contaminated (or your tap water tastes like poo cause of all the chlorine and floride) buy distilled or re-miniralised water since that has gone through a purfication processes, whereas spring water markets itself as coming from "pure" sources (springs, lakes, wells, ect), bottled water is not as great as we'd like to think it is for us... food for thought esp for people who are living with sevre life threatening allergies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Anything that is placed on or in the body should be subject to strict label laws. This is not rocket science! :evil:
I find it very frustrating when given a new prescription that it is often difficult determining the ingredients in medications.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 pm 

Joelle - I'm not an expert, but I just did a bit of research online and found this:

1. Some cosmetics are just cosmetics, while others are considered to be drugs.

See http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/ind ... loi_e.html

which has some info on the drugs vs. cosmetics aspect. I didn't see anything about allergens in there.

2. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/prod/cosmet_e.html (Cosmetics and your health)

has other helpful info (mentioning allergies and the fact that cosmetics can cause allergic reactions) - plus some, for the moment, bad news for those with allergies:

Quote:
Health Canada plans to amend the Cosmetic Regulations to require cosmetics manufacturers to list each product ingredient on the product's label.

Which, to me, means that manufacturers aren't required to do so at the moment.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:25 am 

KarenOASG wrote:
Which, to me, means that manufacturers aren't required to do so at the moment.

K.

No they are not. I was trying to find this information on the cfia web-site, but I couldn't find anything. The government (apparently) doesn't chose to advertise what they don't do. :?

Recently I had a reaction to a hair dye. Well, I've always gotten itchy, but I thought that was normal. I did a patch test and reacted to it. I called the company who *could not* tell me whether peanuts and/or sesame seeds were in the product I used.

I then called another company (L'Oreal) who were able to tell me which brands are safe for me and which ones are not.

I haven't worn make-up in years. I'm seriously thinking about buying some L'Oreal though. Don't they have all kinds of make-up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Admin

New cosmetics regs. come into effect in November, which will require a full listing of ingredients. We'll have a writeup on this in the Fall issue of AL.

Now, we need to find out if toothpaste is a "cosmetic".

I agree with others who think such labelling should be a no-brainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 pm 

From http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/ind ... loi_e.html :

Quote:
Cosmetics must normally be applied to an external part of the body. An exception to this would be oral cosmetics (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, tooth whiteners, etc.). Cosmetics are not intentionally swallowed or inserted below the skin.

But later...

Quote:
Does the substance contain one or more ingredients that primarily have a therapeutic purpose?
For example, toothpastes have the cosmetic purpose of cleaning teeth and freshening breath. However, if a toothpaste contains ingredients to fight against cavities and gingivitis – both therapeutic functions – it would be considered a drug or natural health product.Therapeutic ingredients prohibited or restricted in cosmetics are listed on the Cosmetic Ingredient Hotlist.

I would think that most toothpastes contain ingredients tofight against cavities... so I guess that would make them a drug.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Still trying for an answer from Glaxo Smith Kline on whether Aquafresh in Canada contains peanut oil as well. In fairness, I missed a callback when I was out of the office.

The corp. communications dept. promises an answer on Monday.

Never heard back from their consumer relations dept. when I left a msg. simply asking if peanut oil was an ingredient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:31 pm 

I totally agree that they should put peanut oil on the label . . . but, really, I'm not all that shocked given our lack of labelling laws. If it were soy or corn products, this would not be a news item.

Perhaps GlaxoSmithKline uses refined peanut oil which at one point was deemed safe for the peanut allergic. Some 'experts' still believe this although I would imagine that allergists would now tell PA people to avoid peanut oil because studies have shown that some people do react even to the refined oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:55 pm 

Quote:
What are the Canadian laws on labelling products such as toothpastes and deoderants, soaps, shampoos and sunscreen and vitamin pills? and detergents for washing clothing and detergents for dishwashers?

Labels are not required. Some companies do label, but the cross contamination issue is a big one. We only buy labelled products. They are usually made by companies who seem to at least have a bit of a clue that consumers may actually need or want to know what is in them. I have even found milk in dishwashing detergent, and animal fat from an unknown animal in most laundry detergents (bad news if your child reacts to animal products).

Peanut oil in toothpaste!!? That's just irresponsible.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:28 am 

I know this is kind of off the topic (sorry) but, what the heck is oil doing in a toothpaste in the first place. What is it's purpose?

Oil is what I'm usually trying to clean off of things. Is it there for taste?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:47 am 

_Susan_ wrote:

I find it very frustrating when given a new prescription that it is often difficult determining the ingredients in medications.

I thought a pharmacist should be able to provide you with this info. I have an old CPS, which all pharmacists have. It is a book with info on all drugs, including the inactive ingredients in meds, ie. talc, cellulose, colouring, lactose etc.. Have you tried asking the pharmacist when you get a new med?

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

If I recall it was similar to the problem with No Name brand products. If the drug is generic it can be made from many different manufacturers and therefore it is "difficult" to determine what the exact ingredients are. :roll:
The pharmacist would not tell us that it was safe as he had no way of knowing whether or not it contained milk or egg. There really ought to be a method of tracking these products back to manufacturers and a level of accountability.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb