* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:49 pm 

People with severe allergies may need 2nd EpiPen: coroner
CBC News
24/08/2006 5:04:40 PM

One EpiPen might not be enough to save people with severe allergies, a coroner warned after a doctor was stung by a wasp while golfing and died despite a shot of epinephrine.

An allergy expert who studied the case added the warning that an out-of-date dose of epinephrine might be "not much better than water."

For the full story:

http://tinyurl.com/h75ht

I hadn't realized that expired epi is so ineffective after just a month...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

EpiPen company offers a reminder program for those who live in the USA.
I will try to remember to send tham an e-mail asking when this program will be available to all of their customers.
https://www.epipen.com/epipen_reminder.aspx

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:42 pm 

re: the article--an epipen is good for 2 years after it leaves the company???? My epis are generally good for 12-13 mos. after I pick them up. That means that they have been sitting on the pharmacy shelf for 1 year??

How long do other peoples' epis last?

Another ?--- if the date on the epi is, oh. . . say, Sept. 2006 does that mean it is good until the end of Sept?? or that it expires on Sept. 1? My pharmacist said the end of Sept., but I thought I'd double check with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

K, Huh, I hadn't heard that before either. I do keep mine up to date, but always thought that if the colour was still good on the old ones, that they might be useful backup.

This report came out too late for Allergic Living's Fall issue. We'll speak to some experts and find out more. We'll do a news story for the Winter issue.

If there's any more right away on the "not much better than water issue" will let the forum know. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:13 pm 

What I have heard (from reputable sources) is that the epinephrine is good for about 2 years after it is produced, but then it takes time to get it to the place where they put it into the auto-injectors, and then it takes time to get it shipped out and onto the shelves - that's what takes time. So by the time it goes through all that and is at the pharmacy, it's got about 14 months max left to live. I think if you can find an expiry date that is 14 months into the future, you're lucky. More than that and you should go out and buy a lottery ticket. ;)

As for how quickly it degrades after the expiration date - like I said, that was news to me. I'm glad AL will be doing some follow-up on this!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:16 am 

I guess we got lucky with my daughter's. I bought them in February 06 and they are good until July 07.

I heard that the patient's epi-pen was 5 years old! And he was a doctor! It's incredible that a doctor wasn't better informed about his own condition!!!

How can they say that the second shot would have saved him when in effect, the shot he gave himself was not effective? If the epi-pen would not have been expired, the one shot might have done the job. Plus even if he did carry a second epi-pen, that one might also have expired, and that would not have helped at all!

I'm not saying that it's not wise to carry a second epi-pen, but that this particular story does not make a case for carrying a second epi-pen.

Another point is that if, like me, someone buys an epipen that is good for 17 months and another person buys one that is only good for 12 more months, that person ends up having to buy epi-pens more often and therefore spends more money. Their cost should be prorated!! The sooner the expiry date, the less you pay, right? :D

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:15 pm 

You're right, Nicole - the French CBC report ( http://www.radiocanada.com/regions/estr ... oner.shtml ) says this:

Quote:
L'auto-injecteur qu'il a utilisé était toutefois périmé depuis juillet 1998, soit depuis cinq ans.

The auto-injector that he used expired in July 1998 - five years earlier. [The incident happened in 2003.]

Not to blame the victim or anything, but that's kind of insane to carry such old medication. There are a number of pharmacists in my DH's family, and because of this and their knowledge, my DH is very strict about not using expired medication. My understanding is that some meds lose their effectiveness, while others can become toxic or dangerous.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm 

Another interesting note in the French article:

Quote:
Le fabricant du produit, Laboratoires Paladin, offre en outre un mécanisme de rappel aux clients à la date de péremption. Ces derniers sont ainsi prévenus par téléphone et par courriel. Le coroner recommande au fabricant de l'EpiPen, King Pharma, d'offrir aussi ce service.

Quick summary: The makers of Twinject, Paladin Labs, offer a reminder service to their customers by phone and email. The coroner is recommending that King Pharma, the EpiPen manufacturer, also offer such a service.

It will be interesting to see if King Pharma goes ahead with this.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 pm 

The reminder service is a definite must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Also not trying to blame the poor deceased BUT - apparently he was on beta-blockers for high blood pressure. You would think that, as a doctor, he'd be aware that beta blockers can thwart the effectiveness of epinephrine. Probably really not good with 5-yr-old epinephrine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:38 pm 

Yes, it seems that there were a lot of things working against this poor man. I feel sorry for his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quick summary: The makers of Twinject, Paladin Labs, offer a reminder service to their customers by phone and email. The coroner is recommending that King Pharma, the EpiPen manufacturer, also offer such a service.

It will be interesting to see if King Pharma goes ahead with this

The reminder service is available...in the USA only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 am 

You're talking about EpiPen, right? Twinject has a reminder service in Canada.

The thing that really peeves me about the U.S. EpiPen reminder service is that you don't find that out until AFTER you have filled in the online form - right near the end. When you click Country: Other, a pop-up says that the service is only available in the U.S. Grrr.... :x

They should say that up front, before you get a chance to fill in the form!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I agree.
I hate wasting my time only to find out that it is something not available to me.