Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:16 am 

Here is another article from La Presse newspaper:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060 ... CPACTUEL03

If you don't read French, it talks about how food allergies could disappear within the next 10 years thanks to the development of a new vaccine which would neutralize the molecules that cause a reaction.

New techniques based on genetical research are currently being tested to see if they will eradicate the effects of certain food proteins that can lead to fatal reactions, declared Dr. Ronald Van Ree of Amsterdam University during the Norwich Science Festival.

He contends that thanks to this technique, food allergies could disappear within the next 10 years. The technique consists of rendering the allergens' molecules safe enough to be administered in the form of a medication that would act on the immune system. The same principle is apparently already being used for asthma treatment.

The medication would be linked to components that function to reduce the inflammation, which produces the most dangerous effects during a reaction.

About 1 person out of 70 suffers from a classic food allergy, and the most common culprits are milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts, seafood, fish, soy and nuts.

Contrary to other types of allergies (pollen, animal dander), desensitization by injection of the allergen is very rarely used, this type of therapy being highly risky.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:53 pm 

This gives me such hope for the future. Of course, the outcome remains to be seen, but I cannot give up hope that someday there will be a cure (or a vaccine!)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a version in English: http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=1336202006

I, too, am optimistic about what the future holds for treatments if not outright cures for allergy. I'm just skeptical about the hype around timelines. It starts to remind me of the hype around diabetes (which was going to be cured about 3 years ago, if I recollect correctly) and what became a "race" among scientists for drugs to treat AIDS.

There are still a lot of questions on this allergy vaccine. This article says:
Quote:
"They are attempting to use part of the Epstein-Barr virus, which causes glandular fever, to trick the body's natural defence system into ignoring the microscopic particles that cause allergies."

Sounds good, but has it worked in humans yet? If only in mice, that still leaves a lot of questions, testing and possible sideeffects to be determined. I do hope so. But I prefer it when scientists are a little understated in their promises. That's the case with the work being done with Chinese herbs at Mt. Sinai Hospital (NYC). Some excellent results, but they're not promising the moon just yet. Three years is really quick in the science world.