You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:00 pm 

Hi all -

I believe Fox Network will be running an episode of The Simpsons tonight that deals with allergies - at least in part.

At http://tinyurl.com/zogp4 you can see this synopsis:

-----------------------------------------------------
Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em
Episode Number: 381 Season Num: 18 First Aired: Sunday September 24, 2006

Hoping to see a new side to Homer, Marge convinces him to buy a refined collection of carpentry books. To Marge's dismay, the books only gather dust until she accidentally breaks a nightstand - and uses the books to fix it herself. Soon Marge is hammering together everything from birdfeeders to doghouses and it isn't long before she decides to transform her new skills into a full-fledged business. Unfortunately, the residents of Springfield don't trust a handywoman to make repairs, so Marge hires Homer to pose as a "front" while she handles the real work. Meanwhile, Bart finds out that peanuts are no longer allowed at Springfield Elementary because someone suffers from an allergy. But this loss becomes his treasure when he finds out that the allergy belongs to his nemesis, the one and only Principal Skinner. Before long, both Bart and Homer are in over their heads and it's up to Marge to nail things back together.

-----------------------------------------------------

Apparently Bart and Skinner go after each other with their allergens... I don't have cable, but would be interested in hearing what people think of this after they've seen it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:14 pm 

I saw a commercial for that episode. I plan on watching. I do think that it might be to the advantage of those with allergies who are dealing with schools. I mean "attacking with allergens" may open a few eyes to the fact that it is not just the allergic child eating the wrong thing that is of concern. Unfortunately, it may give some the idea to attack with allergens. We'll see tonight.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:54 pm 

I saw the episode and I have mixed views. The allergy part was only a small part of the show which was mostly about Marge being a carpenter.

When Bart hears that his school is peanut free because someone has a life threatening allergy he asks in a mischeivious way "who is it". He also says something like "we can't have our tasty snacks just because one kid might explode, what a selfish jerk". I felt the comment kind of poked fun at how selfish those people are who want tasty snacks over some kid "exploding". While being searched for peanuts by grounds keeper Willie, Bart learns that is Principal Skinner. Bart then does end up bulling Principal Skinner with a peanut on a stick...repetedly. Then Principal Skinner learns Bart is allergic to shrimp. They battle to "star wars" music with peanuts and shrimp on the end of sticks like light sabers until they fall in a large container of peanut shrimp. Then...they are in the hospital and continue throwing shrimp and peanuts at each other.

I REALLY like that the show touched on the fact that, yes, children may (and do sometimes) bully the allergic child with their allergens. I think a lot of people think the issue is entirely that the allergic child is not responsible with what they eat. Personally, I am WAY more concerned with the kids who may choose to bully with an allergen.

When battling a school unwilling to go peanut free or provide an allergen free classroom, it might be a good episode to play for those who seem to think it is only an issue of what the allergic child eats...which we all know there is a bigger problem.

On the other hand I am concerned with kids copying what they saw in the episode.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:20 am 
Site Admin

I watched it until Bart started to shoot tennis balls and then beer cans at the Principal. My (soon to be) 5 year old daughter was in the room and it simply is not age appropriate.
I like that the story line was mirrored by Marg's plight (gender bias). I think that Marg felt she was not allowed to be a carpenter because she was a woman and that once she took control of the situation...did things get better? I didn't see the ending.
Anyways, I think that similarities can be made in that her being a female is just as beyond her control as Barts shrimp allergy or Principal Skinnners peanut allergy and hiding from a problem is never good.
I noticed that allergies were seen as funny when Millhouse made an emotional appeal and teared up. He suffered some sort of a reaction as he is allergic to his own tears. I was quite upset to see what was a mid form of anaphyaxic shock viewed as commedy. That part of the storyline was not resolved was it?
I was left feeling uncomfortable. I'm not sure what the general public thought about it or what will be said/done on the school grounds.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 am 

hmm i missed that episode...

they've actually done allergies before, marge is alleric to shellfish and homer insists on going to a seafood restaurant despite the fact she's worried "her throat is going to close" and so she ends up sitting in the restaurant the whole time watching him eat. it's not a consistant part of her character however because she's been to a sushi place with the family, and wanted to eat mister pinchey homer's pet lobster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:05 pm 

Turns out I could see it on one of our local channels. I had mixed feelings. Mostly not too positive. I'm not sure what Joe or Jane Public would make of it. I felt that it went on a bit too long with Bart torturing his principal. And then to have them both end up in the hospital and still going at it (and still swelling)... I'm just not sure.

A weird part of me worried that people really wouldn't understand just how serious anaphylaxis is at the end of it all... Why do I say "weird"? Because I'm wondering just why I'm hoping that The Simpsons will act as an anaphylaxis educational tool!! There are probably lots of people out there who take it quite literally, which is a bit scary.

My kids only saw the last little bit (they were out) but at the end, when I was shaking my head, my oldest said: "So who do you think won?" That made me shake my head more. He seemed quite oblivious to the threat that each character posed to the other. It didn't seem to phase him that they were throwing their allergens at each other! "No one won, I would say!", I replied.

And Susan - it ended with Homer taking on the job of renovating an old rollercoaster, Marge not helping him because she was sick of him getting all the credit, Homer doing a horrible job, then on opening day riding it to prove it was safe even though screws were popping out all over, Marge then dashing all over the rollercoaster to fix it just before Homer whizzed by each time, and then Homer yelling to the crowd during the ride that it was Marge who'd been doing the work all along. And then the whole rollercoaster collapsed. (Homer survived.)

That part actually resolved a bit more clearly than the allergy subplot. :?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:09 pm 

By the way, so members of NASK ( http://www.nask.ca/ ) are going to go on to the Fox Network discussion forum to discuss the show.

Details from an email they sent me:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone saw the simpsons episode Sun. nite, Bart and Principal Skinner both had Severe allergies, as usual, they tormented one another this time with the foods that they were allergic to.

At first thought, this is offensive that the producers would suggest bullying by way of threatening somebody's life. But Simpson's fans know that they use the absurd to approach topics of interest. It does get people thinking.

My Sister, Sandi, came up with the idea to use this in a positive manner to open discussion for allergies. Therefore, we invite everyone to join us Wed. Sept. 27th @ 8:30pm to open discussion on the Simpson's forum.

If you didn't see the episode, it doesn't matter, we're just talking about allergies, not condemning the producers. There is a 24 hour waiting period to post on this forum, and I believe you must be over 18. So please visit the link, sign up today, then join us on Wed. for discussion. We may just reach the youth...

www.thesimpsons.com click on message board

http://forums.fox.com/foxsimpsons/start/

My online name for this is "death by food", Sandi's is "Stung".

Karen P.
NASK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 am 

I'm not a Simpson fan at all, but my husband and the kids are (I'm not proud of that fact!), so I end up watching it by default (well, I'm always doing something else and it's in the background). I did sit down to watch this episode however.

My opinion of the show is that the issue was handled in typical Simpson fashion: silly and over the top. I mean, Homer falls off cliffs at almost every show and lives to talk about it. That's not very realistic either, so I don't think people will take it too seriously. Bart and the principal did end up in the hospital at least, so it shows people that food allergies can indeed land you in the hospital.

I just hope kids don't get the idea of bullying allergic kids from that...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:00 pm 

I watched this show. . . or, rather *listened* to it as I was baking at the time. I thought it was interesting that they depicted the old stereotype of the nerdy kid with thick glasses who is allergic to everything (Millhouse) but at the same time depicted allergies as really prevalent!