You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:04 pm 

I found this article in a magazine while waiting at my OB's office. the info is available on line at the following website..
www.canadian-health.ca
On the left side of the page, scroll down to This Issues features, and go to Class reaction....
Here is a synopsis.......

It was snack time in an Edmonton kindergarten when the new girl next to Christian Wigger ate a peanut butter sandwich. Her parents may not have realized that the entire school had been designated "peanut-free"-to protect the five-year-old boy from his life-threatening allergy. Christian soon began feeling sick to his stomach and then keeled over, unable to talk. "He must have touched just a trace," says his mother, Ana, of her son's severe reaction in November 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:49 pm 

HEY! The names in that article seem really familiar!!?

I just wrote my own newspaper here, requesting an article on allergy awareness and how we need the support of our community in order to, literally, survive. I will let you know what comes of that. If nothing, *I* will write it!

Caroline2

Post subject: Re article...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 am 

LOL, Do you know these people Caroline?
Funny you should mention wanting to write an article re allergy awarness.....I was thinking of contacting our Burnaby Now local paper and doing the same!
Let me know how it goes!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:50 pm 

For those who aren't aware, the Wiggers are Talking Allergies forum members. :)

For more info about their fight to get Alberta to have some form of Sabrina's Law, go to http://www.b-online.ca/ and click on Alberta Angels Project.

Also see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478 in our own forum.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:52 pm 

Just thought I'd post a direct link to the article:

http://www.canadian-health.ca/english/v ... -20-e.html

:) K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:01 pm 

I really liked this article -- a good article to forward on to family members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Yes, and they found the writer, Janet French, through Allergic Living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:47 pm 

I also really liked this article. I forwarded it on to my children's school principal.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:20 am 

What I hate about this article, and many like it, is that it gives the impression that nuts allergies are fatal. It doesn't really go into other food allergies. It stresses nuts over and over again. That's the problem with nut free schools too. It's hard having a child with a ana milk allergy when milk is everywhere in the school too. Teenagers (and kids in general) love pizza, and other cheesy dishes. For my son and myself even touching something that had sour cream and onion chips on it can make us break out in hives and eczema. If I tell people about his allergy they often say, "I'm lactose intolerant too..." They just don't get it. Because of policies like "no nuts in schools" and articles like this people who are not as educated about allergies know this: nuts allergies are dangerous...horrifying even. They don't realize that other foods can be potential death to some of us too.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:37 am 

A member of my local support group took the time to read the fine print on page 3 (see http://www.canadian-health.ca/english/v ... page3.html - item 2) and we were disappointed to see that:

· It recommends people download the emergency anaphylaxis plan of FAAN (the US-based anaphylaxis advocacy group), rather than the one from our own national anaphylaxis guidelines.

· It implies that the Canadian anaphylaxis guidelines are too expensive at $15. (There are no American anaphylaxis guidelines, as far as I know, but apparently they are working on it.)

· It doesn’t mention Anaphylaxis Canada, the AQAA, the CSACI or CAAIF - all of whom were contributing authors to the national guidelines along with the AAIA, and who also sell the guidelines.

· It doesn’t mention the Allergy Safe Communities website ( http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca ) - which has almost all of the info that is in the hardcopy version of the guidelines - including a downloadable emergency anaphylaxis plan.

The last point upsets me quite a bit, to be honest. It would have been a good opportunity to tell Canadians that their Canadian anaphylaxis guidelines are available online.

K.