You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:33 am 

There was a child (who turned out to be the murderer) who had a milk allergy on the show last night. When I saw his epipen I was concerned about how they would represent the allergy. In fact, the allergy was just used to prove that the child was the murderer. I was impressed that they choose milk as the allergen. I think it just created more awareness about milk allergy and how serious it can be. The father in the episode had all of the milk products duct taped in the fridge and the food at the scene of the crime had the milk product (cream soup) also duct taped. Initially they thought the father was the murderer but when he drank coffee with milk during questioning they realized he wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:06 am 

My first guess was a dairy allergy when they discovered the trays with the creamed spinach taped up. Confirmed as soon as I saw the Epi-Pen!

I was kind of glad that the allergic boy turned out to be the killer. So often on television, people with allergies are depicted as weak and nerdy, never plain old normal. Not that there is anything normal about a 9 year old serial killer...but it is a change from the weakling!

I have to say, when they found the Epi-Pen I worried that it wasn't with the kid (Geoffrey I think). I also thought about how he would manage his allergy away from his father. Had to remind myself a couple of times that I'm not supposed to feel sorry for the murderer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 am 

I saw that too... I missed the beginning but as soon as I heard the word EpiPen I knew I'd be staying until the end. LOL.

It was a very interesting twist on the allergy angle - using the allergy to figure out who-did-it. And I agree that it was nice to see a severe milk allergy highlighted (even if it was for the murderer...!)

I was worried they were going to find a way for the allergy to be the cause of his psychological problems, but thankfully they didn't really go there.

K.