You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Don't go nuts article
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:53 am 

The following link is for a really, really well written article from a 13 year old girl with peanut/nut allergies describing what it's like to be allergic on Halloween. She also explains really well what it's like to have a reaction and what to do to help someone who is having a reaction.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 1856750065

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:27 am 

Thanks for sharing - that's a great article.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:04 am 

Thank you for posting that.

I am going to use it as an enclosure to a real estate office who sent out an advertisement that included Halloween safety suggestions. They included in their newsletter a list of healthier snacks that could be used instead of candy. Their last suggestion on the list was shelled peanuts!

This newsletter went out to houses in our community. We have just gotten our son's school on board with no nuts in his classroom and requesting no nuts be sent by the rest of the students of the school. Everyone is getting used to the idea. A reminder went out about sending Halloween candy, to be cautious about sending allergens but best of all, not to send them at all, keep to healthy snacks.

I am in the middle of informing the real estate office, the realtors contract and do their own newsletters, real estate board and think this might help them understand things a bit better.

Self, trees, weeds & grass girl, cats, dogs, chemical sensitive, eczma & now peanuts, fish, shellfish & penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 am 

It is a good article.

I would have liked to have seen some kind of age-limit around the "Let the allergic person administer the Epipen herself unless someone else knows how to use it. Chances are, with today's technology and an EpiPen, she will be fine." and a mention that if the person is too ill, obviously someone will have to step up to the plate and help out... The new guidelines are quite clear that no one having a life-threatening reaction should be expected to self-administer.

I was also thinking of how my peanut/egg/dairy-allergic little guy had to give away about 90% of what he collected... He didn't seem to care, and to be honest, I'm happy that he and his brother have that much less candy to consume.

But next year, I think I will weigh his bag before he sorts it and after he gets rid of the unsafe stuff. Just out of curiosity!

K.