You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:12 pm 

I personally don't think the world of medicine and insurance thinks along those lines, although it would be nice if they did.

I do think that there are those in the medical community who would like to see more rigourous tracking of anaphylaxis (incidents and deaths), but it seems to be a relatively misunderstood phenomenon in some parts of the medical community. (This is just my opinion.)

My understanding is that the cause of Sabrina Shannon's death was first deemed to be asthma - almost as if it happened out of the blue. Her mother wasn't happy with that call and pushed for a coroner's investigation. It took awhile but as everyone here likely knows, a more thorough investigation did occur and the investigating coroner, Dr. Andrew McCallum (chief coroner for Eastern Ontario), suspected that the cafeteria tongs used to handle her french fries may have been contaminated with milk products picked up from earlier orders of poutine. And Sabrina was severely allergic to dairy (as well as soy and peanuts).

By the way, the full story of what happened is at http://www.nask.ca/pressrelease.html (a well written article from the Ottawa Citizen). The formatting isn't great but it is the entire article.

So I think sometimes it would be up to the family to press the authorities to find out the "root cause". And I'm sure that when a tragedy happens, for many people it's the last thing they think of.... But I agree that likely there are times when asthma is said to be the cause of death, when it's really anaphylaxis.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm 

What's the point of an autopsy if they don't find the root cause? To me, the reason for an autopsy is to learn more and perhaps prevent similar deaths in the future. If you determine that someone died of a gunshot wound, you try to find the killer. Same thing with anaphylaxis. This leads to more recommendations from coroners and therefore more awareness (hopefully).

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:33 pm 

Can you get life insurance if you have anaphylaxis/asthma? Do you have to pay a higher premium? It would be interesting to see how it is classed. A lot of the reasoning that I get as to why kids in school with LTA's do not get support (funding and resource time), and that there is no need for consistant is that anaphylaxis is not a disablility or special need.

It would be interesting to know how insurance companies handle it. Anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:40 pm 

As for life insurance, I do not pay a special premium for anaphylaxis/ asthma. I have researched it and so did my insurance guy as weI REALLY wanted to declare it to make sure that there would not be any problem in the future because of it. It is part of the paper work in the "other" section and it did not make the premium go up which is what surprised me most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:43 pm 

Pamela Lee wrote:
... a lot of the reasoning that I get as to why kids in school with LTA's do not get support (funding and resource time), and why there is no need is that anaphylaxis is not a disablility or special need.

In Quebec, if your child has three or more severe food allergies, you may qualify for the Allowance for handicapped children.

Details at http://www.rrq.gouv.qc.ca/en/enfants/enfant_handicape .

I will post more info on the Resources forum.

I'm glad you mentioned this Pam. I've been meaning to find out where the info was online for awhile!

(Vive le Québec!! ;) )

K.