You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:20 am 

I finally read the article -- I do agree that it does a good job at sharing the anxiety that parents feel (while grocery shopping, allergens in the home, etc.) and the stress caused when parents don't agree on the severity of the situation. I also agree that it would leave the average reader with panicked feelings about a diagnosis of food allergy - it raised anxiety but really didn't offer much to tell the reader, "that's OK -- if you tap into the support that is available - you can manage it..., here's what's available to you..."
Fantastic letter Karen! I hope they do what you suggest and do a follow up article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:40 am 

Karen that was a great letter you wrote. I had thought about writing one but you did it so much better and more to the point than what i think i would have. Hopefully they will pay attention to you and what you wrote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 am 

I followed the article link "All About Allergies" written by John Hoffman from the main article (off to the right of the text) and found it very informative. It was originally published in Today's Parent in October 2002 and in the end leads the reader to the AAIA, Anaphylaxis Canada, and Asthma Society of Canada for more information. So - it certainly isn't a matter of their not knowing that some of these resources are out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the letter I sent:
Quote:
"To Whom it may concern,

I was disappointed after reading the article Life on the Knife Edge: Kids With Severe Allergies, By Sarah Teitel in your December 2006 issue of Todays Parents. I had thought that a Canadian magazine would have been able to find a Canadian family to interview.

Living in Canada presents it's own challenges as we have yet to create a label law such as the USA put into effect January or 2006. The USA have a clear label law where ingredients must be identified by common name not as scientific name as is still the case in Canada. Restrictions around the operation of ambulances and Paramedic services can be different and even the way schools are made to operate (at least here in Ontario, where we have Bill 3 -Sabrina's Law, yes, someone had to die to make a change).

As much as the article was interesting but not very informative for Canadians, I was most upset that you did not even mention the support that we have here, instead you offer an American link. A visit to the Canadian Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Foundation website and I was able to find many links of Canadian foundations including Anaphylaxis Canada which is a national registry and who helped in the creation of Sabrina's Law (a law that many parents of food allergic children in other provinces are hoping to duplicate). A visit to MedicAlert offers Allergic Living a magazine on coping with food allergies and an excellent forum support group.

I feel that your article does a disservice to those Canadians who are facing the challenges of creating a safe environment for their children.

We need information that relates to our unique Canadian perspective. The fact that your interviewee was once from Toronto is not enough. According to Anaphylaxis Canada "A conservative estimate is that 2% of the population (approximately 600,000 Canadians) may be affected by potentially life-threatening allergies. The incidence may be higher in children and it has increased dramatically in the last decade.".

Could you not have found one to interview?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:32 pm 

I was at a friends place today for a playdate and she had the latest "Today's Parent" magazine. I had asked her if she had read the mail bag section to see if there were any additional responses to this article and she remembered seeing something so we opened it up. Just after the letters portion is a small section that has 3 of the links Karen provided for Canadian resources. The heading was good though - Allergy Update (or something like that)
J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:14 am 

Thanks for the update mygirlsyd!

I will have to see if I can find the mag - I don't subscribe any more (no time)!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 am 

I just saw it too. It's on p. 25, and is quite visible in its own section.