You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:33 am 

The Toronto Star has an article about MedicAlert's new initiative, "No child without".

Here is the link:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home

I think it's an excellent initiative. I hope all the schools get on board.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:54 am 

My Dad actually Pointed out to me that it is in the Saskatoon Star Pheonix as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:52 pm 

hmm i wondered how that actually went into action since i've donated a littlle bit when i renewed my membership earlier in the year (i usually usually on skim the e-newsletter that is sent out so medic alert has sent something explaining how it worked i probably didn't clue in cause i'm a dopesmack)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 pm 

Is it up to principals to contact medic-alert? Or do they wait?

If a child has a bracelet will they now get the annual membership fee waived? What if it's in arrears?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:12 pm 

Apparently there are only selected schools that are currently participating in the program. Medic Alert hopes to have the program available to all elementary schools across Canada within the next 5 years. Check out their website info here: http://www.medicalert.ca/nochildwithout/ to see if your child's school is participating. It is up to parents to approach their child's school / principal for a special application form to enroll in the program. The child's yearly membership will be paid for until the child turns 14, then they get a discounted membership renewal fee until they turn 18. If a child attends a participating school and then changes schools to one that isn't participating, they are still allowed to continue in the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 am 

well I guess we'll have to wait until ds's school gets on board :(

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:55 pm 

Right now I am attempting to get my daughters school involved in this. Whether this is what we're supposed to do or not i don't know but it is worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 pm 

A member of my local support group did some more research about the program. Here is what she was told by the program director, Clifford Leigh-Mossley:

MedicAlert gave the exclusive story to the Globe and Mail, who did the best job of getting the details mostly right. The story is at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... eandHealth - but unfortunately it's just the first few paragraphs now - you have to pay for the rest. (Those of you with the Nov. 20 edition of the Globe can still check it out.)

Anyway… turns out it's going to take quite a few years before bracelets are available for free to all children ages 4 to 14 in Canada. They'll be trying to expand the program equitably to schools across the country over time.

Clifford said that the primary reason for the launch was for him to obtain greater access to school boards (who were often not returning his phone calls) and to pick up more corporate sponsorship. He does recommend that interested parents contact their schools and request that their principal contact him to get the school's name put on a list. (I do think it is important to take this step. It will show the school boards and the corporate sponsors that there is a need.)

It will be up to each school board to determine which of their schools to add each year – and there will be a limited number of spaces per year – but if the school is on the list, Clifford will at least be able to give that information to the board for their consideration.

In the meantime, he suggests people check out MedicAlert's Students First program, which offers membership for about half the regular price for students ages 4-18. See http://www.medicalert.ca/studentsfirst/ for that info.

-----------------

I plan on checking into the Students First program for my guys – I assume that you can transfer from a regular membership to that kind.

So... not as good news as we'd all hoped, but it's in the works and hopefully over time all schools in Canada will be able to participate.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Our school is on the list and the principal has informed me that she has signed us up.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb