You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:51 pm 

Gwen I was so pleased to see your article "Deadly Reactions" in this month's edition of Reader's Digest. Great to see info on adult on-set allergies. I really liked how it ended with a blurb discussing allergy vs. intolerance and info on how to use an epi auto-injector. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:48 pm 

Hey, I just bought that issue! Can't wait to read it!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for noticing, you guys.
That piece originally ran in Chatelaine - Reader's liked it and asked to reprint.

I got an amazing letter from a copy editor at Reader's just before that article went to press. She gives me too much credit, and it feels a bit immodest to share. But I do so because the letter does show the importance of communication - and that's what magazines have to offer. Here's the letter:

"I just wanted to let you know something. Yesterday afternoon, I read your story from Chatelaine, which we are running in our December issue, then I went home and for dinner we had Indian takeout. We were pretty much finished eating when my daugher asked if she could try one of the shrimps we had ordered, though she had had her fill of chicken tandoori. Within seconds her mouth was sore and burning, which we at first thought was the spiciniess of the dish. A minute or so later she came back to the table to tell me she really felt funny and I took one look at her mouth and instantly knew: shellfish. I don't know if I would have realized and acted so promptly if I hadn't just read your article. By the time she got to the hospital, about 10 to 12 minutes later, her tongue was so swollen you couldn't understand her talking.

"I just wanted to say thank you for writing this article. I don't dare think what could have happened if I hadn't realized immediately what was going on. You very possibly saved my 10-year-old daughter's life."

If in a small way my story helped her daughter - I'm really pleased and relieved. What a coincidence, don't you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:41 pm 

Wow - that's awesome. Must be a good feeling. :)

I'm glad that mom took notice of her daughter's symptoms and acted so quickly! Just goes to show how importance education is.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:03 am 

I got goosebumps reading that letter! How fantastic is that! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:22 am 

Wow!

I strongly believe that things happen for a reason.

I too got goosebumps. Oprah always tells her guests who have had different experiences that if you help just one person by telling your story, it is worth it.

Seems like that was the case with you, but who would have thought it would have been even before it got published! (In Reader's Digest)

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:32 pm 

(I was last told it got pushed up to next February... oh well...)

It is those little things that make a difference... it doesn't look much but it can save a life without us doing much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:35 pm 

I got that version of RD in my Christmas stocking (pretty much by request). Great article Gwen!

Mylene - I can't believe someone would "test" you by sneaking one of your allergens into your food. That's really criminal... :(

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:04 pm 

From my early days of teaching to my 4 years of parenting a child with allergies, I have to tell you how important we are in getting the message out there. (like Gwen, not meaning to toot my own horn.)

People feel so much more comfortable when you can share their experience. I have had parents of anaphylactic kids tell me I know more than they do about their kids' allergies.

It suddenly makes it our calling to spout the gospel according to peoples with allergies! :lol:

(my mom and I share our RD subscription, Now I really want it!)

Stefanie