Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:10 am 
Site Admin

http://www.ottawasun.com/Lifestyle/Heal ... 8-sun.html

"Children who are allergic to eggs can overcome their allergy by gradually in-creasing their consumption of eggs, researchers at Duke University Medical Center and the Univer-sity of Arkansas for Medical Sciences have found. "Participants who took a daily dose of egg product over the two-year study period were able to build up their bodies' resistance," said A. Wesley Burks, M.D, a senior researcher. The findings are reported in an online edition of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology."

What the? I hope no one tries this at home!!! :shock:
I have written to the editor and copied it to Anaphylaxis Canada and my local support group OASG.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Here is what the article in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology states:
http://www.jacionline.org/article/PIIS0091674906019385/abstract?kwhquery=Wesley+and+Burks+and+egg+and+allergy&restrictdesc_ymai=%20Journal+of+Allergy+and+Clinical+Immunology&restrictname_ymai=%20ymai&restrictterm_ymai=ymai&restricttype_ymai=journal&search_area=%20journal&search_articletype=all&search_currenturi=http%3A%2F%2Fjournals.elsevierhealth.com%2Fperiodicals%2Fymai%2Fsearch%2Fquick&search_datecombo=%200%3AALL&search_dateradio=combo&search_discipline=&search_doi=&search_federated=%20no&search_issue=&search_keyword=&search_language=all&search_medline=&search_mode=journal&search_monthendcombo=jan&search_monthstartcombo=jan&search_operator1=%20and&search_operator2=and&search_preview=no&search_reqcount=20&search_reqfirst=1&search_resulturi=%2FBRAND%2Fsearch%2Fresults&search_s200=%20yes&search_searchuri=%20%2FBRAND%2Fsearch%2Fadvanced&search_sort=relevance&search_startpage=%20&search_submode=&search_text1=A.+Wesley+Burks+egg+allergy&search_text2=&search_text3=&search_volume=&search_within1=all&search_within2=%20all&search_within3=all&search_wordsexactly=yes&search_yearend=&search_yearstart=&select1=%20relevance&select1=relevance&select2=no&select2=no&select3=20&select3=20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 am 

hmm... so they are interchanging the words "intolerance" with "allergy" and if you only read the first article from the sun you might now pick up on that. scary stuff... shouldn't scientest and doctor types make a much much bigger effort to differeciate between the two? SCARY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:05 am 

Goodness, that's dangerous. I can see it working in a hospital food-challenge setting, but given the health care system, how many allergists (if the above is about allergy, not intolerance) would be willing to challenge a patient daily? And how many people have the ability to take several hours off to do so on a daily basis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:56 am 

The article in the Sun does not specify that the study was conducted on patients with egg allergy without a history of anaphylaxis to egg. Big difference.

Dustytiger, it is okay to use the words "intolerance" and "tolerance" in that context. It's not quite the same as "lactose intolerance". A child who outgrows an allergy is now able to "tolerate" that allergen.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29 pm 

This is the same group that is doing a peanut desensitization study too.

I think the one interesting finding is that exposure did not make them worse. Right now we are being told avoid at all costs if you want them to outgrow the allergy. I just think the fact that might not be all together true is the most interesting finding. I imagine many more clinical trials are needed before this will become standard practice at our doc's office.

It is exciting research though!

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:40 pm 

Some very key points omitted by the Sun -- pretty irresponsible journalism if you ask me. Some papers are more interested in providing "fast news" or sound bites instead actually reporting all the facts...they're potentially risking lives and unknowingly perpetuating ignorance about food allergy, "see, if you give them little bits at a time, they'll build up a tolerance to it..." :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:31 pm 

Here is another link that just came out..... It didn't occur to me to do it but doc's are also scared people are going to 'try this at home'

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/ ... 3564.shtml

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Some very key points omitted by the Sun -- pretty irresponsible journalism if you ask me.

My thoughts exactly!
I e-mailed the editor and then as it just didn't sit well with me, I called and spoke to the editor. He told me he would investigate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:41 pm 

Yes, the Sun certainly glossed over that whole story.

That study does seem promising but if it becomes a successful way of treating allergies, I can see it being costly because of the daily visits and it might not be covered by OHIP and other provincial health insurance programs. Let's remain hopeful though!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Susan and others, fyi,

In the long JACI url that Susan provided, I've put in spaces after the =
To make the url work, simply copy and paste the url and remove those spaces.
Sorry to have to do, but the text was otherwise running to the right for a day,
and making this thread pretty unreadable.

Second point - I concur that this is irresponsible reporting. In this type of immunotherapy, amounts of allergen are being introduced to the mouth in highly controlled settings (definitely not to be tried at home) and a little bit of the allergen is given, then a wee bit more the next time. If no reaction, a wee bit more and so on. A very gradual, controlled process.

This kind of "briefing" in reporting is not just sloppy, it's dangerous. Susan, that's great that you followed up with a letter.

Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Gwen-Thanks for fixing the url, I've never seen one so long before!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:34 pm 

Here's a tiny URL that you can use.

http://tinyurl.com/ucsa8

I will also post this handy hint in the Website and online forum feedback forum.

It's a way to share those huge long URLs without overwhelming your audience!

K.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:34 pm 

Here is another article, which refers to desensitization to both egg and peanut.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/26/ki ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Research is really coming along! :)
At least this article actually says "don't try this at home."