You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Products
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:57 pm 

Hi all, and A very Happy and Safe New Year to you and your families. I am conducting an independent research on allergies and food products.....and would love to get some input....
Starting with ..1) How many people do each one of you know how have food allergies, and please tell me what they may be allergic to.
2) What types of products would you like to see available to you, and or your families.
3) What would you be willing to pay for these products?

This is all for now.....I have a few more qns for later.
Thanks!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:09 pm 

Answering food allergies only, and people I know personally, not internet:

Myself: peanuts & sesame seeds
brother: peanuts
cousin: lobster (but not crab)
uncle: crab (but not lobster)
friend: banana
other firend's son: fish, and many other foods. Several cause anaphylactic reactions
other friend's son: peanuts, sesame seeds, poppy seeds
son's classmate: multiple food allergies
another classmate: possible peanut
neighbour: peanut and something else
her daughter: carries epi-pen (or rather has one prescribed :roll: ) not sure whether she is allergic to foods or insects
other naeighbour's granddaughter: peanut
bil: chicken (anaphylactic)

That's all I can think of off hand

As for the rest of your question -- what are you offering? ;) Seriously, can't think of anything I specifically want right now.

Edited to add in bil.

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:24 pm 

Hi Anna Marie, and thank you for your input.
much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm 

For my family:

me: nothing, but perhaps raw eggs
son 1: see signature
son 2: see signature
SIL: bananas and others (not sure what)
niece 1: peanuts, nuts
niece 2: shellfish

Plus there are 80 member families in my support group, with a huge combination of allergies. Most families are dealing with multiple food allergies. Many have peanuts and nuts, quite a few have dairy, eggs, shellfish, fish, wheat, soy, sesame seeds, or a combination thereof.

I would personally love to be able to find a tasty granola bar that is dairy-free. My son doesn't like the one brand that is currently available. For cost... I would pay more than the going rate if my son liked them. [Edited by Karen to show that she basically changed her mind about what she'd pay!]

Actually, what I'd really like is not a food product at all. I'd like a means of sealing a single homemade granola bar so that it looks like a store-bought granola bar. We have a food sealer but it wouldn't work - it would be a waste of the plastic. And I'm tired of wrapping them in plastic wrap. That takes a lot of time!

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

1) How many people do each one of you know how have food allergies, and please tell me what they may be allergic to.
1. Daughter-egg and milk
2. Friend #1-peppers
3. Friend #1's husband- lactose intolerant
4. Friend #2-lactose intolerant, chicken and sulfites
5. Workmate #1-Celiac and wheat allergies (contact)
6. Workmate #2-Celiac
7. Workmate #3-yeast
8. Workmate #3's daughter-red food dye (tartrazine)
9. Daughters' classmates cousin- Celiac
10. Daughters' bestfriends neighbour's daughter-Celiac

2) What types of products would you like to see available to you, and or your families.
Food in hospital vending machines.
Better information regarding non-medicinal ingredients in presciption medications (currently not always available)
Cheddar flavoured soy cheese with no milk
Food companies which have customer relations 1-800# outside of business hours

3) What would you be willing to pay for these products?
Possibly 20% more than the current unsafe products.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:59 pm 

1) How many people do each one of you know how have food allergies, and please tell me what they may be allergic to.

son - peanuts, tree nuts, sesame
numerous students at school - peanuts, treenuts, eggs, dairy...

I would LOVE to see a tasty granola cereal that is nut and sesame free.
hot dog and hamburger buns that are sesame free (and nut).
GOOD crackers - with whole grains etc that are sesame free (and nut).

20 per cent more per product sounds reasonable to me too.

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:34 am 
i could list so many people, but i've not much time.
i am allergic to casein and ALL i want is brie cheese that tastes like brie cheese. i would pay 100$. seriously. :) oh, and pre-made gluten-free filo dough made from flours that aren't buckwheat or rice - they are so time consuming to make from scratch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:56 am 

Me: Egg and now reacting to dairy as well (ok, I am not enjoying the allergic lifestyle)
friends kid: egg, dairy
good friend: peanuts

What would I like to see? good tasting copies of everything I used to be able to eat but can't now and widely available so I don't have to feel deprived every time I go to the store. Nothing is worse than having to shop at 4 different stores just so I can eat.

What would I pay? Same as regular food I used to eat. I'm getting taken to the cleaners now at the grocery store. I'm a student and don't have a lot of money so having to pay $100 at the grocery store for what used to cost $50 is really ticking me off. If I had a choice and was deciding to pay more it would be a different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:52 pm 

How many people do I know? Lots

Friend's son: egg, nuts, peanuts, soy
Friend's son: nuts
Friend's daughter: egg, nuts, peanuts
Friend's son: peanuts
Friends' son: peanuts
Friend's daughter: shellfish
Friend's son: nuts and peanuts
Friends' son: nuts and peanuts
Husband's co-worker's daughter: nuts and peanuts
My sons: see bottom
SIL: kiwi, lobster
BIL: nuts, fish
I coordinate students at school: 8 mainly peanuts
neighbour: wheat, eggs, dairy, barley, nuts, peanuts...
Cousin: fish, shellfish
Her son: nuts, peanuts, fruits and vegetables
other cousin: nuts and peanuts

I would love to see a greater effort on the part of manufacturers to produce food on non-contaminated lines. My son's diet would be greatly improved if "traces of" didn't exist. I would like to see specialty products like rice cheese or rice dream ice cream not be made with casein, or have traces of soy or traces of peanuts. I would like to see a greater variety of cookies (most contain dairy or traces of sesame) I would love to see breads or baguettes, hamburger and hot dog buns that are safe. Bars would be great, though he does like the nonuttin ones! I would like meats not to have soy protein added to them. Allergen free (read, no cheese!!) frozen pizza! I would like producers not to keep adding soy protein or hydrolized corn protein to stuff like chips or crackers.

I would love to see more allergy friendly restaurants and hotels or a cruise line that caters to the needs of allergic individuals. I would love to see more camps that are safe for our little ones.

How much would I be willing to pay? The cost of allergies is enormous, wood floors, air purifiers, epipens, other meds, aerochambers, belts, bed covers, hudidifers, dehumidifiers, air conditioning to keep pollens out, bread maker, ...Not to mention our grocery bills are enormous allready. We have no choice but to pay more because our choices are so limited. Personnally I really wish we didn't have to pay more!

But more than anything I would like a cure to be found so that all of our children and adults at risk of anaphylaxis stop living in fear and start enjoying foods freely!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:02 pm 

I forgot about the BUNS. Peanut and sesame free hamburger and hotdog buns.[/b]

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and respond to the post.
A little refresher about me....
Work> Registered Nurse, working in the Emergency Department...currently working and residing in Burnaby, BC.
I used to live in Toronto, up until a year ago, when I moved out West after getting married to a BC Boy.
Last year in November, I began to experience tingling sensation in my hands, light headedness, a "fuzzy" feeling, and moments of pre-syncope......( near passing out)....I used to have episodes where my heart would race, I would become dizzy, and had difficulty swallowing.
All of these sypmtoms developed over a two week period.
A physician I saw at a walk in clinic diagnosed me with Multiple Sclerosis, and set up an appt to see a Neurologist.
A week later I ended up going to to ER....the very same one I worked at......
I was diagnosed with being allergic to nuts.....something I had eaten all my life....
A visit to the Allergist confirmed this....
Now, no one in my immediate family has allergies.....
Both my husband of a few weeks and I had to make some big adjustments......and like everyone else here, we became "Label Readers".....
Eating out was a difficult.
Not many restaurants are " Allergy Friendly".....
Not many wait staff have adequate knowledge....
Foods that I used to eat and love, were now my "off list"....such as Indian, Thai, Chinese, Middle Eastern... to name a few......
Strangely, "healthy, nutritious foods", both in restaurants, and grocery stores were off limits for me, as they were often encrusted with nuts, or had "traces".....
While junk food from McDonalds was considered safe for me.....ISn't that the saddest thing ever?
Being invited out to families, or friends homes also was challenging......
My husbands cousins came over for dinner last year and inspite of knowing of my allergies, brought over peanut, and sesame brittle.......
Go figure!

Last Christmas while working in the ER, patients, and staff would bring in lots of treats.......99% containing nuts in one form or another.
WHile I tried to educate staff around my issues, as well about cross contaminations, it went ignored.
This is in the ER where we see acute/ anaphylactic reactions on a daily basis!
Their attitude was...." You're in the right place if you drop"!!!
A work safety issue for me!

Simple things like going to a bakery to purchase fresh, hot out of the oven bread was out.
My sweet tooth suffered the most!
LOL!
Being an avid cook, I started baking more at home.
Making my own meals gives me peace of mind.....knowing that no cross contamination has occured.
If we want to go out for dinner, we call ahead and check with the staff.

Other challanges> Air Travel.
I flew with Harmony Airlways in April, and informed them of my allergies, and they were incredible. They made an announcement on the plane and asked other passengers to avoid eating any nut products they may have. I was offered an upgrade to business class....See my post from April for more details.
I have travelled on West Jet since, and did not get any postive response from them.
I was in Toronto 3 weeks ago, and flew with Air canada. On my way to TO, I informed the flight attendant of my nut allergies. Her response to me, "we have not been serving nuts for years:"
Then less than an hour after take off, they were selling cashews!
Ok, so its all in the wording!
The dont "Serve" nuts, they " sell " ...............

I contacted the editor of our local community paper re having the opportunity of writing and educating the public.....to date, I have not received a response from him.

I get frustrated when I walk in to a grocery store, and see nuts among the fruits.....

Purchasing from the bulk section is out...................

I used to travel all over the world.....but now, I wonder if flying to Mexico, or Paris, or Panama is safe....

I cant give my dog his fav cookies.....they have peanut butter ...........

The local diner down the road grinds hazel nuts then flavours his coffee with it......

The Super Store in Toronto had rotisserie chicken with a label sting " may contain traces of peanuts/ nuts...........

The Staff at Subway told another that " she does not like like nuts", when asked if there buns were nut free........

A teen-ager working at McDonalds gave me a package of nuts with my sundae inspite of being told "No Nuts"...........

So yes, this " new world" of allergic living has been immensely frustrating to live in.

I agree with everyone who has made the effort to respond, what we need is more eductaion, more awareness from the public, resturanteurs and their staff.
We need manufacturers to provide more dedicated lines to avoid cross contamination.
And when we do find something we can safely eat, it at least twice the price.....

yes there is a purpose in collecting data from everyone of you.
And while its in the very early stages, I will let you know that I am looking at developing products that will be available . While its impossible to avoid every allergen, it will be free of the top ten.
So, having said that, keep responding....your feed back and input is very imortant to me!
Thank you again for your time!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:55 pm 

It's very interesting to read all these posts. When I read mine over I feel kind of pathetic compared to the rest of you. You all have so much hope.

I almost feel like I've been so beaten down by the allergic lifestyle that I've given up hoping for things like allergy-aware restaurants and allergy-friendly-and-yet-tasty-and-yet-not-hugely-expensive food products!!

I wonder - is there a fine line between acceptance and giving up? Maybe it's because we have so many allergies between my two kids and we've been living this life this for so long that I just don't hope for things like tasty store-bought food and restaurants any more.

I mean, we do have some tasty foods available to us - some home-made and some store-bought - but after this holiday, I'm pretty sick of most of them, because we have such little variety. And I have been finding that a lot of the processed foods that are safe just don't taste very good. So I don't dream of processed food any more, because it's not as good as our home-made stuff. I really don't like food much any more, truth be told. It's good for my waistline, but I sometimes wonder what the cause is. Is it age, or allergies?

Okay, enough rambling...!!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I almost feel like I've been so beaten down by the allergic lifestyle that I've given up hoping for things like allergy-aware restaurants and allergy-friendly-and-yet-tasty-and-yet-not-hugely-expensive food products!!

Oh Karen, you are much more positive and upbeat than I am! :P
You are out there trying to find restaurants that your boys can enjoy. We don't even try. It is just so much work and so stressful that it simply isn't worth it to us. I find it difficult to place my childs life in the hands of a total stranger and when they are preparing, cooking and serving the food this is how I feel.
I think you are in the post-holiday blues, don't be too hard on yourself.
As for your response, I think you are right in pointing out that what we need are not just new food products which are safe for our particular allergen needs, but tools to help all of us cope with the delema of keeping a supply a safe foods for all situations while allowing our children (or ourselves in the case of allergic adults) to live as normal a life as possible.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:48 am 

Acquaintance's daughter #1 -- rice, egg, peanut, tree nut
daughter #2 -- egg, peanut, tree nut
Acquaintance's son -- peanut
My son -- peanut
When my son starts school, I'm sure we'll come to know more...

As far as products go, I find that most products we have to avoid are dessert or treat-like products. I do all of that type of baking at home know, so we don't really miss out on much in the way of products. There are some things that are difficult to find due to cross-contam. issues and I think if I were to make a "wish list", my wish is more in terms of more strict regulations / guidelines for the nasty "may contain" statement. I think it would make all of our lives much easier if manufacturers' had to have strict manufacturing practices in place for all allergens and were not allowed to just slap a "may contain" statement on their product to avoid having to do that. To be able to count on manufacturers' labelling 100% would be life changing too. I agree with Susan, you don't always go shopping between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday...
Come to think of it -- to have the convenience of being able to just go to any restaurant on the spur of the moment without worries would be really nice too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:36 pm 

Karen,

I am still new to this and I am hopeful that things like awareness will increase.

One day, I will buy a hot dog bun that has no cross contamination. One day someone will understand that no nuts means NO NUTS. One day, my mother will read ALL the words around ingredients and realize it is actually NOT safe for my son. One day parents will not send in peanut butter sandwiches because they will know a reaction is more than just sneezing. One day we will all go to McDonald's (should we so chose) and play freely in the play area.
Why? Beacuse my name is Stefanie and I am supremely hopeful that the medical advances that may well have "caused" food allergies will find a way to save us all!

We need both the naive hopeful people to change the world and the realistic people to keep us safe and aware till the world is changed.

Happy New Year!!!