You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:42 pm 

We're new to the whole EpiPen issue - I just got my daughter's on Jan. 18. Today I looked at the expiration and it expires in May. Is four months a normal shelf life or did the pharmacy give me an old one?

Re: the under 15kg/33lb - our daughter weighs about 22 pounds and the allergist was fine with giving us the EpiPen Jr.

EDIT: After searching and reading a bit more I see that I got an oldie Epi. Insurance covered it this time but I don't know how many they cover per year. Do you think I have a case for returning it and getting one that will last longer (it was a CVS)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:53 pm 

Katesmom,

A May expiry date is not good at all. I usually like to get at least a year out of one. If you're paying for it yourself (not covered by insurance), I would return it. I have coverage now...but when I did not, I phoned every pharmacy in our area and got the one with the furthest date....or had one ordered in that had never sat on the shelf.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:06 am 

I agree with saskmommy. I would return it and get one that is at least 12 months away from expiry (especially if you had to pay for it yourself).

It's a lesson that we all learn at the start, so you're not alone. I try to remember to check the expiry date before I pay for it - or even better, I try to remember to tell them before they fill the prescription that I want autoinjectors with an expiry date that's a year or so away.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 am 

when it comes to the expiry date my pharmacy where i got my daughters prescription filled was very good. They were the ones who looked at the expiry date and made sure that it was at least a year a way for me. Too bad more pharmacists out there did not do that when we are buying these things from them. Especially when you consider the cost and if you are paying for it yourself and not with insurance. I do not have to pay for my daughters pen but i am happy that they looked and explained it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:23 am 

I don't know about your insurance company but there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of Epipens we get from ours. We have gone on vacation and stocked up and have had to replace them often at first because we would forget them in the car in the winter. We have never had a problem.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:26 pm 

I did this my first time as well, as I needed one immediately from the only 24 hour drugstore nearby. The pharmacist told me to call ahead a few months before I need new ones to see when the new lot will come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:13 pm 

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely call ahead the next time, or call around, and make sure I get one with a longer lifespan.