You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 pm 

I was telling my husband, the lawyer, about this discussion and he brought up the perfect response.

These are public places. No one is telling them they can't eat a peanut butter sandwich in their house or on their property. The "powers that be" make a decision or a law to restrict something because it's part of their responsibility to take care of their people, all of them. It is not the "allergic" child who makes the rules or the laws, nor their parents by the way. There's no reason to take it out on them.

This is the same as with the smoking ban. Of course smokers aren't happy. But again the restrictions are for public places because of the health risks to other people. The rules were put in place by governments, (impartial body) and not the non-smokers. No one is being told what they can do in their own home. It's all about being part of a society, there are rules we like and rules we don't like, it's just the way it goes.

Does this woman get all bent out of shape because her husband can't bring a beer to the park while he watches the kids play? I doubt it. This one is so much a part of us now that we don't even see it as the same kind of regulation but it is. And having one beer at a park doesn't typically put anyone else's life at risk.

It's unfortunate that some people can be so narrow minded and short sighted. There will always be someone like that around. I guess the only thing we have control over is our reaction to it. We should not give them so much power to make us so angry, we are the ones who lose out in the end. Anger is toxic and draining and takes energy away from doing good elsewhere.

We should be proud of the good that we do in helping our kids and all of the other kids who have allergies and not let these cynical people get us down.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:52 pm 

Very well said, Denise.

It's all about being part of a society.

And you're right about anger being toxic and draining. I should keep that in mind...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 pm 

I second what Nicole said. Thanks Denise. It helps to have it stated like that.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:30 pm 

Triliam wrote:
This is the same as with the smoking ban. Of course smokers aren't happy. But again the restrictions are for public places because of the health risks to other people. The rules were put in place by governments, (impartial body) and not the non-smokers. No one is being told what they can do in their own home. It's all about being part of a society, there are rules we like and rules we don't like, it's just the way it goes.

Denise I've never paralleled food rules / restrictions due to allergies to other restrictions we have in society. I love the smoking ban and drinking in public ban comparisons. I've never thought about it in that way before (I love when I can say that!). Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 pm 

When vehicles were first being sold there were no speed limits. No driving laws/rules at all. Those things only came in to being as one person's pleasures began to put another person's rights into risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:38 am 

This is my rant - do you think it is too angry to send to Canadian Health magazine? Tell me truly, but I'm just so sick of all those "Jennifer's".

I would like to take this opportunity to reply to Jennifer Williamson, who wrote that children with anaphylactic allergies should adapt to their school setting or be home schooled. I have been raising a son with a life threatening allergy for 8 years now, and I have met a few ‘Jennifer’s‘. In the hopes of raising awareness of exactly the kind of issues families like mine are facing, I am going to tell you of my experiences with a few of the more notable Jennifer’s I’ve met.

The first ‘Jennifer’ I met was a client of mine. (You see, I tried Jennifer’s advice when my son was first diagnosed and rather than put him in a daycare, I chose to open a family daycare of my own). I quit working for her when she left a lunch bag of peanuts on the floor where my toddler son could easily have got to it. In retalliation, she spread peanuts all over the park where we both brought our children (her five year old came to me and warned me not to let my son out of his stroller ). When I phoned the police to report the incident, the officer laughed and told me that a peanut wasn’t a weapon.

Another memorable ‘Jennifer’ was the Vice Principal of the public school who refused to admit my son based on his peanut allergy (yes, I know that’s against the constitution, but that’s what happened). When I phoned the school board to learn our options, I was told by yet another ‘Jennifer’ that “some principals choose not to go down the “no peanut” road”, and that it would creating undue hardship for underprivileged children to expect them not to have peanut butter. Luckily, I was able to meet with ‘Jennifer’s’ supervisor, who asked what I wanted put in place to keep my son safe. I said that I just wanted the existing school board policy to be in place, and it was agreed that my son would attend school there. The VP did not say a word during the meeting, but afterward told me he had not been aware that a policy existed, and after my son had been attending school for a while, he pulled me aside and confessed that to his surprise there had been no complaints from other parents, and everyone was very supportive.

As the years have gone by I am meeting less and less ‘Jennifer’s‘, as more and more people are affected by life threatening allergies. When I do meet ’Jennifer’, I try to be polite and not take it personally (do you really think your lunch choice and my son‘s life carry equal weight?, ‘cos, honey, I‘m here to tell you they don‘t). I want to be a strong advocate, so I try to educate, rather than yelling or crying. But as I am spilling my soul, here’s how I really feel:

Jennifer,

I don’t understand your analogy of an allergic student being like a customer service representative in a bad mood, but then again, I just don’t understand you.

Get over it, it’s a friggin’ sandwich, eat it at home, roll in it if you want to, just please don’t endanger my son. You have options, there is a great product called Pea Butter, that is remarkably similar to the real PB, and yet it won’t cause my kid’s eyes to swell shut and his airway to close. Just think about how you are filling your karma pot every time you choose to keep my kid safe, rather than causing his death at the most, and causing him huge anxiety at the least.

Anaphylaxis is a physical reaction to an allergen caused by a faulty immune system, and as yet there is no cure - THAT MEANS MY KID CAN’T ADAPT (he would if he could, believe me). I am sure you would never expect a child with Cerebral Palsy or Down’s Syndrome, or any other physical issue, to just adapt to a school setting with no support - my kid’s no different, it’s just a different type of special need, one that requires cooperation and awareness.

Last time I checked the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, my kid was just as entitled to public education as everyone else in Canada. Luckily, we have an inclusive school system here in Canada, every child has a right to a public education. I can’t home school him, because that would mean I couldn’t work, which would mean there would be no home to school him in. He would be lucky to be car-schooled, and most likely he would be street schooled, because, without two incomes, that’s where our family would be living.

Please rethink your position, Jennifer. He’s just a little kid. He didn't ask for this. He has enough to deal with without having to deal with your self-righteousness and your anger, too.

Sincerely,

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:33 am 

Pam, that was great. I hope they publish it. It is so heartfelt. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all these idiots. I can't believe this grown woman spreading peanut butter all over the park. Her kid was more mature than she was! I can't believe the officer just laughed it off. I would have pursued this, because while PB is not a weapon, there was definitely criminal intent. PB is like a poison for allergic people, just like arsenic would be. But I don't have to tell you that. It's the "Jennifers" of this world who need to learn, so please send that letter.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 pm 

I agree. Great letter Pam!!!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.