Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:11 pm 

Storm (and everyone) -

Go to http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/ - I've posted the original editorial and the letter to the editor from the anonymous mother, along with my response and the letters to the editor that supported my position.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

I think the reporter failed to grasp the content of the letters. Most parents are happy to explain the "facts of life with a food allergy" to anyone who expresses an interest.. I'm sure I am not alone in feelling that an open dialogue is essential in keeping my child safe.
I can't believe the school trustee to doesn't feel in is an issue that demands her attention. The fact that it is still being discussed in the local newspaper shows it is an issue for all parents of school age children. I suspect that it is being dealt with at the principal and superintendant level and not coming to her. Perhaps she feels that creating a policy is enough. Sabrinas Law 2. (2) 2. states the policy shall contain:
"2. A communication plan for the dissemination of information on life-threatening allergies to parents, pupils and employees."
If parents are not being given the information to understand the food allergy how can they be expected to co-operate?
Perhaps the OCCSB and the OCDSB would like to have host an information night and have a member of the Anaphylaxic Canada's Speakers Bureau give a talk on this topic.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:42 pm 

Thanks, Karen. I re-read the letters (your column and the response letters to the editorial) and if the writer of the article is referring to those letters, I don't see anything about being "vehemently opposed" to providing answers to their questions about why certain foods are discouraged. In fact, his editorial (that started all this to begin with) is the only piece of published text where this "idea" appears: "But I don't like the lack of communication. I get the sense that, should you ask any questions, you are not being sensitive and politically correct." Not even the letter from "Anonymous" states anything about not having her questions answered. It seems this editor (who is also the reporter) is having some difficulty being objective here and is stretching the truth a bit. If not, where are these letters? Why haven't some of them been published? What exactly is "a number" of letters? 2? 100? It just seems to me that his final statement was a bit strong.