You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:40 pm 

Here is a link the US organization called The Food Allergy Project, Inc which is building a coalition of concerned parents, researchers, educators and experts. They have two primary goals:
1. To increase the federal resources dedicated to food allergy research and
2. To fund scientific studies that will lead to cure for food allergy

There is an interesting 12 minute video here that shifts the focus from 'how are we going to deal with allergies' to 'what is going on that there are so many people with allergies right now'. Interesting....

http://www.foodallergyproject.org/videopage.html

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:03 am 

I got news about the video by email recently. Very interesting video - quite powerful I thought. I sent them a thank-you for putting their money where their mouth is and giving us a voice!

Here's some more info that I got in my Allergy Moms e-newsletter ( web: http://www.allergymoms.com ) today:

-----------------------
With the recent release of their amazing new video, we’ve been getting a lot of questions about the Food Allergy Project. We asked Denise Bunning, one of the founders of this non-profit organization to share a little information on their mission.

Q: What is “The Food Allergy Project?”

A: It’s a coalition of concerned parents, researchers, educators and experts with two primary goals:

1. To increase the federal resources dedicated to food allergy research

2. To fund scientific studies that will lead to cure for food allergy

Q: Do you really think it’s possible to find a treatment or cure for food allergy in the near future?

A: Scientists in the field of food allergy research estimate that with a commitment of $50 million per year for five to ten years, we can find a cure for food allergy.

Q. Are you looking for donations?

A: No, the Food Allergy Project is financially self- sustaining and no membership dues are collected.

Q. What can parents do?

A. To help the Food Allergy Project deliver this message on Capital Hill, please click here to add your name to our growing list of supporters. Together, we can save children’s lives.

You can also do your part to raise awareness by sharing this amazing Video Available Online. If you are looking to educate your legislators, schools, daycare, or support groups, you will not find a better tool than this amazing 12 minute video.

Denise and Dave Bunning are the devoted parent advocates behind this project. You can view the full video here and encourage others to view it as well.

If you lead a food allergy support group, you can also request a copy to show at your next meeting. To request a copy, click here to send an email with “DVD” in the subject line.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 am 

Yippee! I bet this project will make a difference.

I printed the sample letter they ask sent to representatives with the idea that I would send it to Canadian Government.

Does anyone know the answer to this:

How many Canadians affected by LTA - the # I've been using is 600,000, but this is a 1995 statistic - does anyone know what it is now?

How many Canadian hospital visits annually?

How much Canada is spending on research?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:20 am 

I think it is 1-2% of the Canadian population (300,000 - 600,000), but I would like to confirm as well. I mention the number of people with LTAs is roughly the population of Victoria -- or Vancouver Island for the larger number -- and ask if we would hope that the rest of Canada would help us if we had a local situation that made us islanders vulnerable. . . we are just a small percent of the population, after all. . .

I would like to match up with the people from this website, or at least get a link to the Allergic Living site on there. Would this be ok, Karen?

Caroline2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Judah Denburg, the scientiific director and CEO of AllerGen, has told me that if the work of the Jaffe Institute now has f.a. in the U.S. pegged at 3.5-4% of the general populaton, it is an educated estimate to assume that Canada is the same, if slightly less. He felt comfortable with about 3-3.5 per cent of the pop. So approx. one million Canadians have f.a.

He bases this on: the similar makeup and diet of the 2 populations; the fact that results of the Montreal studiies on prevalence of peanut allergy in schoolchildren are in keeping with U.S. findings.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:45 pm 

Wow! Thanks for those updated numbers. Now we are talking about the population of the area of Vancouver. . .
Caroline2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

FYI Caroline,

Dr. Denburg said that in an interview, not just in passing. I've cited those figs. in articles for both Chatelaine and Allergic Living, which were factchecked.

It's an estimate (as was the old 600,000), but a reasonable one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:35 pm 

Did anyone spot the copy of Allergic Living magazine on the table when the 3 women are talking? (I'd say about half-way through).

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

They did a great jjob with that video - powerful and inspiring.

It's wonderful that the Bunnings are pouring millions into research.
They can use AL as a prop any time. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:35 pm 

Did anyone else notice that The Food Allergy Project White Paper states that people with LTAs are ineligible to serve in the US military?? I didn't know that. Is this the same for Canada? Are there other professions where EpiPen carrying people are disqualified?
(The White Paper can be found at http://www.foodallergyproject.org/news.html at the bottom of the page.)
Caroline2