You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:03 pm 

http://www.education-world.com/a_issues ... a018.shtml

especially the 6th through 8th paragraphs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:22 pm 

:shock: that is horrible.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:46 pm 

wow, i don't understand why anyone would put in a tongue in cheek article a references to DEADLY food allergies as part of the neusences of trying to feed children these days. childhood obsesity is one problem and yeah there are times where nutirian is taken to an extreme (hello have you seen the onslaught of diet pills), but to lump serious allergies in there as an annoyance just so irrisponsible. yes, children ask to be so allergic to a certain food that it could kill them, it's not a dietary choice, it's a dietary need. it is women like her who make women my age (i'm twenty-three) think that "feminism" is a more dirty word then the "f" word the "b" word and the "c" word put together. this article, or should i say rant, has my blood boiling, and i don't even have severe allergies!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:51 pm 

Quote:
While I understand that the recognition of food allergies in young children might well prevent massive outbreaks of discomfort, vomiting, and death, it’s a real annoyance to those professionals who have to memorize the particular needs of each child.
:shock: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:51 pm 

if you click through to her website you can "sign" her guestbook. I gave her the f bomb. But maybe someone else could be more diplomatic? I'm not very good at that! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a deep suspicion that one reason that we are becoming obsessed, as a nation, with the thought that there are, hidden in the most benign substances, things that can hurt us, because we have realized that, indeed, many things that seem benign could, in fact, be dangerous.

Controlling what we put on our plate, or on the plates of the kids in our charge, gives us a sense that we’re in control of the universe. It helps keep at bay the fear that so much of the world is, in fact, unpredictable and scary.

Sigh - lumping food allergies into this discussion is absurd. She deserves the Katesmom's f-bomb for perpetuating such misinformation and the sense that parents of f.a. kids are "obsessed".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm 

Well, apparently she's quick with the edit tool. She deleted my guestbook entry (I actually did asterisk the f word) as well as a much more diplomatic one that was posted before mine...and I'm guessing the next one there will go pretty soon (but probably the p.o.r.n looking one will stay...)

I also sent a more carefully worded comment to the publication in hopes that if she doesn't censor her own ignorance, perhaps the people who pay her will think twice about putting such idiocy on their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:24 pm 

Katesmom -- it's funny you mention...I went to her site intrigued to read your f-bomb comment and couldn't find it...I thought the woman "Jennifer" hit the nail on the head with her comments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:05 pm 

The author of the article just emailed me a reply. I'm not sure how (or if) to respond:

Dear Kendra:

I'm very sorry that my recent humor column for EDUCATION WORLD treated a serious subject with the sort of lightness you
--with good reason-- found unacceptable. I wrote the piece because I'd been hearing, in increasing numbers from teachers and administrators (as well as from parents of non-allergy-prone
students) about the difficulty of keeping track of the special needs of their numerous charges in what are, too often, very large classes.

Of course you are quite right to argue that any child's physical
challenges need to be addressed responsibly, and in no way had I intended to undermine the gravity of any individual child's condition.

Thank you for taking the time to write; I consider myself newly sensitized to the difficulties faced by everyone when dealing with food allergies.

Sincerely,

Dr. Regina Barreca
-----------
Gina Barreca
barreca@uconn.edu
www.ginabarreca.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:40 pm 

Ugh - I'm so mad and even after the somewhat decent email she sent you, KatesMom, I had to post myself:

Hi Gina,

I'm an MA student in English Literature and heading to law school in the fall. I was incredibly disappointed at your mocking tone with regards to children with food allergies - can you be serious? Someone with your education should have the decency to be respectful of life-threatening medical conditions - I highly doubt you'd crack jokes about diabetics or kids with cancer. You state feminism as an area of interest, but feminism seeks to give voices to those who are often ignored, disregarded, and disrespected. Further, I would imagine a true feminist would agree that physical safety (particularly in classrooms) is a right, not a privilege. Mocking an individual who can't feel safe on a regular basis knowing there are people like you making comments like yours, in my opinion, fundamentally contradicts what you claim to stand for. Very disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:57 pm 

Two things kind of jumped at me in the article.

One was a reference to a teacher saying she would shred green paper to feed the kids as it's the only thing not on the banned list. Why do teacher's feel they are obligated to feed their students? I cannot wrap my mind around that. I have three children, and even during summer holidays, not one has starved to death. Honest.

Second is this:
Quote:
I’d also like to remind us that kids eat bugs

Not my son! He's allergic to them. He never ate playdoh or pencil erasers either. Maybe he's weird, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:02 pm 

The response:

Sorry that you were offended by the comments in the humor article;
while I did not mean to suggest that teacher's act irresponsibly, I see
that the issue of food-allergies provokes a serious response and I respect
your perspective. I've altered the piece on the website in order to
demonstrate my newly-acquired sense of sensitivity, and I hope that you'll
be able to see beyond this one column and enjoy others. Thank you for
taking the time to write and to make your voice heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27 pm 

lin101, that was an amazing letter you wrote to the author. You really hit the issue right on the head, and I bet you you changed how she views allergies. I would just like her article to change some more, though, to reflect her response to you.

And I agree with AnnaMarie -- WHY are teachers so worried about feeding our kids? Get the awful shared junk food out of the classroom, out of our schools. Let's safely eat our home-brought lunches and snacks and have a strong, consistent school policy be applied so teachers and school staff don't have to resort to mocking us because they don't understand our child's health issue.

Sheesh.
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

I just sent her a comment asking her to read the Child.com article. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Boy, that was quick! She must be feeling her ears burn because I just recieved a response.
Quote:
Thanks for the providing the link, and sorry that you found the article
insensitive. I've reconsidered my lighthearted tretament of this
serious subject and removed what I hope is the offending paragraph from the
column. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Boy, I just can't leave well enough alone tonight! I had to respond to her e-mail:
Quote:
I appreciate your prompt reply.
"While I understand that the recognition of food allergies in young children might well prevent massive outbreaks of discomfort, vomiting, and death, it’s a real annoyance to those professionals who have to memorize the particular needs of each child.
Not only are there kids who can’t eat peanuts or who have to avoid shellfish (not that lobster and shrimp etouffee often appear in the goody bags one brings to celebrate a 7-year-old’s birthday), there are also vegan first graders and tikes who must avoid gluten, lactose, or anything made with actual material substances. My friend Laurie, who teaches second grade in Massachusetts, told me that “It’s getting to the point where I’m simply going to shred green construction paper and give that to the kids to eat. Paper is the only thing that’s not on the ‘unacceptable foods’ list.” "
Actually, I find the entire reference offending. I find the fact that keeping a child safe is annoying to you. I find the fact that teachers feel the need to offer food at all to children unfathomable. My daughter was offered foods 4x in JK and she accepted them because the teacher who was the authority figure offered them to her and she wanted to please her teacher-even though she knew she could die. I wish you could have been in the room when my daughter "confessed" her crime of eating the foods to me. It breaks my heart every time she is singled out as being different, every time she must say "no thank you" and every time she cries into her dolly because she hates the unfairness of it all. 5 year old"s weigh everything against fairness.
You may comment all you wish on the fact that adults force children to eat a healthy diet while we consume unhealthy stuffs but please, please don't poke fun at any ones disability. You only come off as being mean and petty.
I'm sure you are actually a very nice person, I can guess that by your prompt reply and your attempt to alter your article.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb