You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:55 am 

When you first posted that response that she sent about altering the article, I couldn't find anything different. Now it looks like she just took out the one sentence about the annoyance of memorizing kids' needs...

I truly think she needs to do quite a bit more editing...and take out all references to food allergies (peanuts, shellfish)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:44 am 

I find it disheartening when academics perpetrate stereotypes unthinkingly when they are fighting for social justice in another area. It astonishes me that someone who is a researcher, writer, and an *educator* would publish something like that in a public forum without researching what it really means to have allergies or celiac disease. (Okay, well, I'm not so naive and idealistic anymore to be "astonished." Disappointed I guess I should say.)

That having been said, it is good of her to listen to peoples' criticisms and to try to edit out some of the more objectionable parts of her article. I suspect that she still doesn't "get it," however, seeing as the article didn't get a more thorough edit. (Besides, she really shouldn't be passing judgement on what parents choose to feed their kids--whether it be for religious, cultural, ethical, or health reasons. Anyhow, I'd be far more concerned as a teacher about a kid who had a steady diet of soda pop and french fries.) Where are all these elementary school kids who are scrutinizing nutrition labels? I have the impression that parents who restrict their kids' intake of fast and sugary foods are facing an uphill battle . . . I *haven't* heard of any cases of elementary kids passing judgement on their teachers for eating too many donuts. Maybe she is thinking more of her own university students here. I'm betting there wasn't a whole lot of field research that went into this article. :roll: