You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:45 am 

A Calgary transit passenger is demanding a public apology after being ordered off a bus -- twice -- because of the apparently overpowering scent of her perfume.

During her morning commute to work last Friday, Natalie Kuhn was ordered off the No. 137 Dalhousie bus by a driver who complained her perfume was too strong and was aggravating his allergies.

The rest of the article and a video news report can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/22hw2d

In my opinion, this is a very one-sided article and news report. They could have presented the other side of the story and made people aware of allergies. They just focused on "civil rights".

I can't tell you how many times I have had to get off the bus or subway to get away from overpowering perfume. What about my rights to ride public transit and not get nauseous and leave with a migraine and dizziness? And just last week, I went to a restaurant and the woman two tables in front of me was wearing such strong perfume and I could smell it from where I was sitting. It even bothered the person I was dining with... and he doesn't have sensitivities.

And I'm sorry but as the video shows, two direct sprays of a powerful perfume like Givenchy is too much! I don't understand why some people feel like they have to mask themselves with too much make up and perfume... it must be an insecurity thing. A little goes a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:12 am 
Site Admin

According to Calgary City By-law Number 4M81 section 14:
1. No person shall, in or upon any transit vehicle, passenger shelter, transit station, 7th Avenue transit corridor, or any other property owned or occupied by The City for the purposes of Calgary Transit:

(d) behave in a disorderly manner;

(e) behave in an indecent or offensive manner;

(g) molest or interfere with the comfort or convenience of any other person.

It seems to me that she was advised of the fact that her perfume was overpowering and asked not to wear it. She chose to continue to wear strong perfume and so she chose her consequences. When will people take responsibility for their own actions? I'm sure the bus driver saw her at the stop and decided to give her the benefit of the doubt that she may have decided to wear less perfume the second day but in the end it was still too much.
If the driver experienced just basic allergy symptoms such as itchy watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose etc. while trying to manouver a bus through city traffic, this could compromise the safety of not only all of the passengers, but everyone else on the street. If the driver experienced an anaphylaxis reaction it becomes even more critical.

I have never seen it written in any civil rights that a person has the right to wear perfume.

I hope that the City of Calgary will follow other Cities and establish a scent-free policy.

Quote:
Scent-free Program

City Council approved the creation of a new scent-free program for City buildings, community centres and sport centres, Light Rail Transit, OC Transpo and Para Transpo buses. The scent free program will begin with a public awareness program and a scent-free policy in the City’s corporate buildings and transit operations, informing the public to be considerate of others who may have reactions or sensitivities to scented products, and urge people to observe the program by using the many unscented products available. Several areas within the City of Ottawa already encourage staff not to use scented products such as in the Ottawa Public Health Branch, and the Real Property Asset Management Branch has undertaken a scent-free cleaning products pilot project within select City buildings including City Hall.

and
Quote:
Scents in the workplace

Scents are becoming more of a concern in the workplace. Scented products can trigger asthma attacks and can cause skin and eye irritant-type reactions in susceptible individuals. In 2001, Statistics Canada reported that 8 per cent of Canadians aged 12 and over suffered from asthma.

Some occupational health and safety organizations and many health-based advocacy groups already promote scent-free workplaces for employees. Educating employers about the benefits of scent-free working environments is the first step in developing workplace policies that will protect all employees.

Call the Ottawa Public Health Business Health Line at 613-580-6744, ext. 24197 or e-mail businesshealth@ottawa.ca, if you have any questions or concerns about scented products in your workplace.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 am 

Excellent info in your post, Susan.

This is an interesting quote from the article I posted:

Quote:
Calgary Transit spokesperson Tom McCallum said the city doesn't have a policy allowing bus drivers to deny travel to passengers wearing perfume.

I'm sure the bus driver has an allergy or sensitivity to perfume and he was probably frustrated that his employer does not understand this. The transit spokesperson should also have better worded his statement. It's not about wearing perfume... it's about wearing such an excessive amount that it is enough to overpower a whole bus and cause people with allergies or sensitivities to get ill. Calgary Transit did not comment much. They're probably trying to downplay the incident in order not to cause further damage to their image.

So the woman is embarrassed, inconvenienced and offended because she was asked to get off the bus. What about the millions of people who are made to feel ashamed of their allergies, who are afraid to speak up and suffer in silence... people whose visits to the emergency room are much more than just a simple inconvenience?

Here are some more links to the story:

http://tinyurl.com/yrdkmh
Quote:
City spokesman Tony McCallum said Calgary Transit is investigating, calling it "a priority." There is no city bylaw banning strong scents on public transit, he added.

"There's a potential medical issue with the driver," McCallum said, though he couldn't explain how two weeks passed without any problems.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/ ... 9-sun.html
Quote:
"I got on again (yesterday) morning and he told me I had to get off the bus -- I said no so he got off the bus and called his supervisor," she said. "He said (the perfume) interferes with his ability to focus and operate the bus."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:05 pm 

I can't walk safely, much less *drive*, after being exposed to fragrances. I think this driver was in the right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:09 pm 

This story was alluded to in the CBC radio 1 program today "Sounds like Canada." (Shelagh Rogers is the host.) One of the panellists was very unsympathetic to the driver and also very misinformed about chemical sensitivities. Shelagh Rogers indicated that she would be interested in talking about perfume in a later show, but shifted the conversation back to the main topic---the proposal to restrict smoking in multi-unit dwellings in Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:46 pm 

Certain perfumes send my mom into such a severe asthma attack that she could die. Some people think that allergies are just watery eyes and sniffly noses. They just don't understand that it could actually kill someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Re: Restricted smoking in mulit-unit dwellings
I support this. We lived in a Maisonette which is simillar to town houses. We had a backyard, basement and first and second floor but it was forced air and the air from all of the units gets recycled.
Our daughter had many asthma episodes usually resulting in 10-12 courses of ventalin by nebulizer and she constantly had allergic shiners. We were finally able to see a Paediatric Respirologist who advised us to move ASAP. There were many smokers in the building.
We moved and put in central air and she has not had an asthma attack in the past 1 1/2 years since the move.
I am convinced she was reacting to the smoke from the other units.
Were air is recycled from all units, smoking should be banned.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm 

as my mother always says perfume was used when people didn't take baths on a regular basis, and there is no need for it these days, cause she often has to hear my tales of people and their over-powering scents, it bugs me so much when people just don't get how much scents can effect certain people!!

i was on a bus one time, in ottawa, that had a some "light scents makes sence" advertising, might i add; when these two teenage girls get on and proceed to say "this bus smells funny" one of the girls pulled a bottle of perfume out of her pruse, and proceeds to start spraying it! i tried to say something to the girl, but like any teenaged girl it was like talking to a wall so i had to switch buses, people can be SO ignorant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:21 am 

I couldn't agree more, Susan. I'll post a link to the podcast under my little discussion of the panel discussion in another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:33 pm 

I recently went to a Maple Leaf Hockey Game last week, and there was a woman with some much perfume on it was revolting. The seats are tight, I just cannot imagine what she was thinking, I mean we could taste the perfume it was so strong. My 4 year old son has asthma and spent the whole night at the game in a coughing fit, needless to say it put a big damper on our big night out.

blakes mom :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 pm 

I agree with Susan, people should take responsibility for thier actions. Today, people are just so rude, selfish and self-centered. Her actions on the second day were on purpose and antagonizing to the driver. The point is correct that should the driver be put at risk for an allergic reation, he is putting the safety of all at risk. I think he did the right thing. If she wants to spray that much perfume on herself she can walk or bike to her destination. Why would anyone want to smell like that and be so inconsiderate of others? I can only imagine what her co-workers endure every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:46 pm 

dustytiger wrote:
as my mother always says perfume was used when people didn't take baths on a regular basis, and there is no need for it these days!

:D This is so true! I too, react to perfumes and colognes (and some other chemicals). What starts out as hayfever like symptoms, quickly progresses to other symptoms like burning, pounding sinuses, nausea, diarrhea, uncontrollable shaking and a loss of coordination, that I can only describe as being "perfume drunk". My speech will even become slurred if I can't get away from it!
It would not be safe to drive, under these conditions!!!
Not to mention the problem for people with asthma, being stuck on a bus with that much perfume. There oughtta be a law!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:57 pm 

Hi Again,
There are some great comments and real-life stories here, but we are all preaching to the converted! We need to educate and inform in a positive way to those who do not have the same knowlegde about allergies and how they can be life-threatening. How do we collectively communicate our comments to the media and get the right educated information highlighted on Canada One and with the transit authority? We need to be heard outside this forum. Any great ideas?

2 daughters with mulitple allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 pm 

Why not email Sounds Like Canada, tell them about the discussion that has been going on on this forum, and ask them if they would like to hear from some forum members? You guys could offer more insight than the university professor (I believe it was) who thought he knew it all but pretty much knew nothing....

K.