You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:33 am 

I am very sad to report that there has been a death from anaphylaxis in British Columbia.

Carley Kohnen, age 13, who had allergies to foods including dairy and peanuts, had an anaphylactic reaction after eating food on Thursday, March 29 and died shortly after that. Unfortunately she did not have her EpiPen with her.

There is a news story online at http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... 8e&k=19647 .

Her parents are in my thoughts and prayers.

I know this kind of news is very distressing for the allergy community, and that it is very easy to feel that this could happen to any of our children or adult friends with allergies. I think the thing to keep in mind is how much we need to keep working with our kids and youth to remind them to always carry their life-saving medication, and to not eat if they don't have it. We must continue to strive to make them part of the team that keeps them safe. (And I know that is not always easy with teenagers.)

As Dr. Peter Lee, who is quoted in the article, says: allergy deaths are "totally preventable" -- but it takes vigilance. Those with life-threatening allergies of any kind and their friends and family must continue to work together to reduce the risks, practice prevention, and ensure that epinephrine -- life-saving medication -- is always on hand.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

This is so awful - and preventable, as Karen says.

There is also this TV coverage from Global's Keith Baldrey:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/index.html
Click on “heavy pollen” for the video clip

I hope that the B.C. gov't will at least see the need for greater awareness and education.
What MLA Cubberley proposes in his bill is clearly needed. We need to have systems and procedures in place; to do everything humanly possible to protect these kids - perhaps especially in those teen years.

If you haven't written yet to Shirley Bond (see the schools - anaphylaxis laws thread), please do so.

thanks, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin

So awful, and so preventable. :(
My husband and I discussed this last night and it seems that the teen years really are the most vulnerable years. The natural tendancy to rebel, buck authority, test limits, the feelings of invincibility, the desire to fit in with ones peers...all at a time when the schools are relaxing their vigilance and more and more responsibility is placed on the shoulders of the child.
I have read in several books that teenagers are not always believed when they say they have food allergies and ask detailed questions about food ingredients and food handling. They may not have the self-confidence to be assertive enough in some situations.
More has to be done to train food service staff.
More has to be done to assist young people in recognizing that they can do what everyone else does-they just have to do it safely. MedicAlert bracelettes and restaurant cards add credibilty to their insistance for more information. EpiPens do not belong in lockers. How can we make carrying them more acceptable to this age group?
My heart hurts for the parents of Carley Kohnen.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am 

I was thinking about the knowledge of the food staff as well. The teenager had a responsibility to carry the epipen but the food service staff need to be knowledgeable also. I can completely see a teenage being dismissed. A teenager with food allergies might not want to draw too much attention to themselves when asking about safely issues especially when their peers are along with them. As well, the way a teenager is dressed (just the nature of teenagers) might make them less presentable and easier to dismiss by food service staff. Many people still do not distinguish between milk intolerance and milk allergy. There is probably more understanding in the food industry about peanut allergies but less knowledge about other allergies. There is probably a lot of work to do in the area of training food service staff. What good will it be to teach our children to inquire about their allergies if the staff is not knowledgeable?

I was also thinking that training in schools needs to encourage peers to assist their allergic friends. By teaching everyone in school from an early age the importance of having the epipen on hand, it is more likely that peers might help allergic friends to stay safe. There is the slogan, friends do not let friends drive drunk. It would be important to encourage a similar message about eating without an epipen. I am sure that the friends of Carley are devastated and are probably wishing that in hindsight that they could have done something different. Just some thoughts.

This is a somewhat similar situation to Sabrina Shannon. She ate in her school cafeteria after asking the servers about her allergens and then she did not have her epipen with her. There were other complications to her situation but still some similarities. My heart goes out to the family. The teenage years are certainly going to be a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:12 pm 

I completely agree!
Staff at restaurants/ malls need to be better trained and informed!
My sister went to Nando's recently to pcik up some chicken.....she was told the sauces were safe...she brought the food home and doesnt the packaging on the sauce have a " may contain" warning!
We called the manager at the restaurant to make him aware of what had happened( after all it was him she had spoken with at the restaurant and he confirmed the sauces were okay!!)...Needless to say he was apologetic....but assured us that the sauce on teh chicken was "safe"....How can that be?
Its the same sauce they baste the chicken with!
So, another thing off the list!
I have had similar issues at McDonalds, and Subway,.......
Regretably, people seem to think that if a product does not contain nuts its safe.....
I hope the family of this poor girl are coping. My heart goes out to them!
Shairose