You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:11 pm 

A WOMAN suffered a life-threatening reaction after being given blood from another patient with a peanut allergy.

It is believed to be the first time a severe food allergy has passed from one person to another through donated blood.

The incident, reported in a medical journal, has prompted calls for blood donors to be rigorously screened for allergies.

The 80-year-old patient was given blood ahead of minor surgery to investigate stomach problems.

Two days later she ate a muffin with peanut butter and became ill within minutes with anaphylactic shock. Her throat closed, she was struggling for breath and she had difficulty swallowing.

Doctors immediately injected her with adrenaline and steroids to halt the potentially fatal reaction.

When they checked the records, they found the blood had come from a 19-year-old female patient with a history of severe allergic reactions to nuts.

"We need to consider whether we should screen blood donors for allergy," said Dr Donald Arnold, of the department of medicine at McMaster University in Canada, where the woman was treated. The incident was reported in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=647782007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:15 am 

That's bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:55 am 

I became a regular blood donor last year. Perhaps I should stop. I don't want to be responsible for passing on a fatal allergy to someone. I was giving blood to help people, not hurt them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 am 

Quote:
"We need to consider whether we should screen blood donors for allergy," said Dr Donald Arnold, of the department of medicine at McMaster University in Canada, where the woman was treated.

I know I'm being selfish, but I want them to screen people for what they ate prior to donating blood. I have no doubt that I would have a reaction if given blood with the protein of my allergens in it.

I would be interested to hear the follow-up of this woman. I think it's possible it will only be a temporary allergy. I hope it is only temporary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm 

AnnaMarie, you bring up two very excellent points. I would also hope the woman's "new" allergy would be temporary. I wonder if any of our medical consultants at Allergic Living could comment on the possibilty of food protein in stored blood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:47 pm 

I had read a while ago about a doctor (prior to 1950?) who had no allergies, injected himeself with a small amount of blood from someone allergic to fish, ate fish, and had a reaction at his injection site. I can not recall if he developed the allergy longterm or not.

I'm sure I have the book I read that in...I tried to find it for an exact quote...but I think it would involve re-reading a 300 page book :? .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 am 

Very scary -- on both sides of the issue. I'd love AL to investigate further too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:27 am 

Just got my summer allergic living in the mail today and read the article about this. It said that the allergy WAS in fact temporary. But still, you're not exactly in the best of health if you're needing a blood transfusion in the first place so you're immune system isn't as strong most likely - especially if you've got leukemia or something of the sort. THis woman is lucky that she recovered. I was considering starting to donate blood, however, after this, i won't. Blood tranfusions are meant to save a life, not cause it to end. For the sake of the entire blood donour program, i hope that some answers can be found soon and some guidelines put in place for blood donations in this regard.

Caroline