It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:07 am 

Sustainable Style?

Quote:
COTTON GINNY LAUNCHES OLOGY
Sustainable fashions made with Bamboo, Corn and Soy
TORONTO (ONTARIO) March 1, 2007

This Spring, Cotton Ginny launches "OLOGY", a new sustainable clothing line exclusive to Cotton Ginny. Available at select stores across Canada, the signature "OLOGY" collection is the next step in Cotton Ginny's continued commitment to sustainability and their offering of affordable eco-friendly fashions.

Bamboo-ology, Soy-ology and Corn-ology are the first three collections from the "OLOGY" line. Made from 100 percent sustainable fibers, these lines appeal to the fashionable, environmentally-conscious consumer who wants to look good and feel good about what they wear. By combining sustainable fibers such as bamboo, soy and corn with certified organic cotton, Cotton Ginny strives to expand the sustainable apparel landscape while continuing to offer the comfortable, quality apparel that they are known for.

"Bamboo is nature's fastest growing plant, it's 100 percent biodegradable and is naturally re-generative," says Designer Lorena Santin-Andrade. "At Cotton Ginny, we're constantly looking for new fibers that not only provide comfort and durability, but that are sustainable by nature and not harsh on the environment."

Inspired by cultures from around the globe, "OLOGY" combines science, nature and tradition through an innovative process that involves the application of sustainable practices and fibers in fabric development and garment design. The unique fit of these garments appeals to a modern consumer with a keen sense of style. Bamboo-ology, the first installation of "OLOGY", has a distinct Asian feel - offering kimono-styled separates and clean designs; Soy-ology is African inspired and Corn-ology, the third installment, celebrates Indian culture through Hindi prints on organic cotton and corn t-shirts.

Quote:
Each of the collections includes a scarf woven from milk silk, whose fibres are regenerated from dried milk protein.

I don't know how these fabrics would affect the allergic person (if at all?), but I can't say I'd be rushing out to purchase clothes made of nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm wondering about a contact allergy as well or if the fibres broke and became airborne could they cross the mucous membrane in the nose and get int the blood stream?
Maybe we should "ask the expert"?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:10 am 
Site Admin

I just sent an e-mail to the magazine asking these questions. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:14 pm 

Interesting
I was recently at Michael's (craft store) and saw that they have Soy yarn.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:09 pm 

Argh! I consider myself to be part of the anti-soy lobby (an anti-soy lobby of one, that is) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 am 

My daughter just finished a homeschooling assignment, a magazine about sustainable living. She researched the "cotton - ology" and it's been found that the milk line can cause a serious reaction, specifically when the anaphylactic person wearing it sweats. I think I posted the link on here somewhere already but don't have time to look at the moment. I will when I have some time later. I asked if the soy would be organic soy or genetically modified but we've not heard back. It seems the company is doing their best to produce organic, fair trade products so I would assume this to be the case. I do wonder about the corn though too. If neither the corn or soy aren't organic I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm 

Wow, thanks for the heads up!!