* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 am 

Interesting article from Foodconsumer.org:

Genetically Engineered Foods May Cause Rising Food Allergies - Part 1

Quote:
Part 1: Genetically Engineered Soybeans

The huge jump in childhood food allergies in the US is in the news often [1] , but most reports fail to consider a link to a recent radical change in America’s diet. Beginning in 1996, bacteria, virus and other genes have been artificially inserted to the DNA of soy, corn, cottonseed and canola plants. These unlabeled genetically modified (GM) foods carry a risk of triggering life-threatening allergic reactions, and evidence collected over the past decade now suggests that they are contributing to higher allergy rates.

For the rest of the article, click on the title above or go to http://tinyurl.com/yp879x . Note that the printer-friendly version is easier to read than the original version.

I'd be interested to know what people think after reading this. Could GMOs be part of the reason why food allergies are on the rise? Does it make more sense than the hygiene hypothesis? Has the introduction of GM soy into the US food supply in late 1996 had an influence on the doubling of US peanut allergies from 1997 to 2002?

By the way, Foodconsumer.org says this about themselves:

"Foodconsumer is operated by a number of professionals in food, health and environmental sciences.

Foodconsumer is not affiliated with nor sponsored by any industry/organization. Foodconsumer does not have any political agenda or commercial motive. We do not accept any donation from any individual or organization.

Foodconsumer is here to provide those who care about their diet with worthy food and diet information. We hope readers can benefit from this unique magazine."

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:13 pm 

This is NOT something I've really studied, but it IS something I've always found interesting. When people ask me my opinion on why there is such a rise in food allergies (and allergies in general), the two reasons I quote most are the hygiene hypothesis (which I then explain in my own way) and broccoflower. I just don't think it's natural to fool around so much with Mother Nature and I think she's getting revenge. GM foods (I think) are a bit different then crossing two plants together, but it's the same basic idea. Take something natural and make it NOT natural any more. It just makes sense that our systems are going to go haywire.

I don't think this is OT to the topic, though not food related. When I was in grade school we went on a field trip to the Royal Winter Fair. I remember being in a room full of plants, and someone was cross-breeding them. They had this cactus, which they had put some flower on the top of. They explained to us how they did it, and eventually it all grew together as one plant. I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I remember it scared me. Everyone else thought it was so cool, but it scared me that people could have so much power that they could change plants. It was pretty, and it was science -- but it was like some horror movie come true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:34 pm 

Karen, from oour experience my youngest has minor allergic reactions to strawberries, cucumbers and canned corn. She is not allergic to them according to my allergist...but her face gets red when she eats them. BUT...she is perfectly fine with organic versions (which in addition to chemical free...is also GMO free). She just had organic canned corn today for the first time. She has not had canned corn in ages. Guess what??? She was perfectly fine with it. I've been suspicious of GMO foods and non organic foods for a while. We eat almost entirely all organic, whole foods in our house now. That may sound really restrictive, but we've got in a routine that works well for us and does not feel limiting. Infact it feels really freeing to rely less on manufacturers.

As for hygene hypothesis vs GMO...I don't know if the answer to allergies needs to be one or the other. I suspect they are both part of a complex problem. Intestinal microflora is VERY important to the immune system (hygene hypothesis), without it bad bacteria and parasites thrive. I'd also like to add a few more factors into the mix including certain nutrient difficiencies (either from poor nutrition OR good nutrition BUT poor quality foods like vegetables grown on fertilizers on nutrient stripped soil) contributing to leaky gut and/or leaky skin. Another factor may be the dominance of cooked foods in the standard diet. Raw is most natural, enzyme rich, and contains some good naturally occuring bacteria (example a fresh apple is not sterile and apple sauce is). And then there's vaccines...chemicals everywhere...

Quote:
I just don't think it's natural to fool around so much with Mother Nature and I think she's getting revenge.

I couldn't agree more.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:39 pm 

I have to agree as well on thinking that Mother Nature is getting her revenge. There are so many strange things that are done with food... more in the name of greed than in the name of anything else, in my opinion. It's so strange that people and corporations think that making money is so important, and don't look at the bigger picture of what the end result of their greed will be.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 am 
Site Admin

People have had allergic reactions after being transfused with blood donated from an allergic individual or became allergic after recieving a translant from an allergic individual .

http://allergies.about.com/b/a/000052.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2003/01/ ... 30127.html

It's not a far leap to see that a food stuff can also become allergic when modified to include genetic material from an allergen.

I am all for studying genes and gene therapy. I beieve that we will find the answer to AIDS, Arthritis, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Scleroderma, Cancer and many more auto immune disorders through understanding why the body attacks itself or doesn't recognise invader cells. I believe that all of these are linked somehow and that we are close to finding out just how.

I don't think we understand fully how genes inter-relate and their effects on the body. I do not wish to be a guinea pig all for the sake of a firm ripe tomato.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:50 pm 

I think how much we are exosed to antibiotics now maybe plays a part, but that is just my theory, just based on own family's experience. I had allergies in childhood, but the they had basically gone away until I had my first kid and got a huge infection (from the operating room- the woman before me who had a C-section in the same room got the same infection), and had to have massive antibiotics, then I got allergies within about 2 months.

My second son was always sick as an infant and my doctor gave him about 8 rounds of anti-biotics before he was one. He had his first reaction to peanut at 11 months.

At the time, I did not think about any of this stuff at all, so I never questioned the amount of antibiotics. Now Dr.'s won't give antibiotics as much, but we have so much in our food supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:16 am 

I wonder about the rate of allergies in countries where genetically modified foods are prohibited, I think France and Germany both prohibit GMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:22 am 

Shirley - you should write to the author of the article and ask him that question!

K.