You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: eczema cream warning
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:34 am 

Recently, both Health Canada and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have issued an advisory on Protopic and Elidel (eczema creams). Both pose a cancer risk.

(I got this information from Anaphylaxis Canada.)

See Health Canada's website:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2005/2005_31.html

Story by the CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/04/27/eczema-drugs050427.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:35 am 

No idea why I didn't manage to provide a link.

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:40 am 

Has anyone had any comments from their doctor about this? My daughter has vitiligo (loss of skin pigment) and was prescribed Protopic just around the time the first warning came out from the States. I was so glad to be on the FAAN e-mail alert list, as I received the warning before we started the cream. Since this would be for cosmetic reasons, we have decided not to use the cream. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard much from their dermatologist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:15 pm 

I made an appointment with my son's dermatologist regarding the warning, because Protopic is the only thing that seems to keep my son's ezcema bearable during the spring. His dermatologist is at the Western Canada Dermatology Institute in Edmonton. According to him the Health Canada should not have blackboxed the cream. He said approx 17 million people currently use the Protopic cream, and ezcema sufferers have found new lives because of it. There was one 54 or 56 year old male that had got a skin cancer, but the form he had was 10 years in developing, long before he had started the cream. They give an oral version to transplant patients in order for the patient not to reject the new organ. When used properly he felt there were no substantial risks that weren't far outweighed by the benefits of the cream for ezcema sufferers..

While there are risks with everything nowadays it seems, I would recommend talking with your doctor if you have any concerns. For me the quality of life, and the benefits for my son outweighed the current risks. We use it so sporadic that for the time being it is the only option available to us.

Good Luck!