You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:00 pm 

I caught just a bit of a clip of Harper on the news today. He was denying that allowing jelly beans made for US consumption would be a risk to Canadians. In reality, he's talking about a lot more then just jelly beans. But, using his own words -- those jelly beans are a risk to me. I can eat Canadian jelly beans -- but I don't know about US ones. There are a lot of foods manufactured for sale in Canada that are safer for those of us with allergies, then there are in the US.

I know that this summit meeting was about a lot more then just this -- but this little part could totally mess up my life.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_13974.aspx

Quote:
The leaders also plan to announce that they will recognize the research of each country's food and drug regime in an effort to reduce costs and avoid duplication.

If recognize means accept -- this needs to be stopped. It's not just the jelly beans and the candy bars anymore. A few years ago I found out about a children's medicine from some American's on a web-site. I found it on the US site, but not on the Canadian. I called and was advised that it was available in Canada with a different name -- but it was an adult medication -- not approved in Canada for children.

They have different standards, and I don't want to give up our stricter standards.

Am I the only one scared by this? I am not a political person at all -- please help me understand if my thinking is way off base.

Note to Moderator: I know that this summit meeting is not about allergies. But, I feel this part of it will affect us, and I fear it will affect us negatively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

AM, I think this is a perfectly valid news topic for us.

You raise an interesting concern. Here are a few other related points:

1. As the U.S. often fast-tracks drugs, does this mean an allergy treatment (there are some in the works) would make it to market quickly in Canada, rather than the usual long wait for Health Canada?
2. I'd be concerned about whether Mexico is as reliable in its factories for packaging. I'm not saying they aren't, i'm just wondering how the other 2 gov'ts would know for sure.
3. On the plus side, wouldn't that kind of streamlining require that Canada, finally, pass its allergy labeling amendments into law? (We don't like to rush these things. I mean 7 years :roll: )
4. On the downside, the U.S. doesn't recognize sesame and sulphites. Though I assume we stll would since those two aren't really the logjam in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 am 
Site Admin

If Mr. Harper knows what is in his Canadian Jelly Beans, he must have a degree in Chemistry.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Curious about one thing on the jelly beans... does anyone know what Ganong's allergen labeling is like on them?

They do use nuts and some peanuts in some products, so I'm wondering if it's good or how they handle the "may contain" issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 pm 

When I called Ganong (a long time ago) I was told that everything either contains nuts or is a *may contain*.

I for one do not want fast-tracked treatments. (Think tholidimide)

One of my many concerns regarding allergens is that if foods won't be processed separately depending on where they are going, then I don't believe they will be labelled differently. And if they have to follow US laws or Canadian laws -- who will they chose? When they switch to US laws they may not *bother* with the may contain labelling -- which is not legally required in either country, but is much more common here. And, even if they do include the labelling I think it will be required on a lot more foods.

Of course, they will manage to put the french labelling on -- but that can be done with just a sticker.

Mr Harper thinks he's playing in the big leagues -- but honestly, I think he's just a bat-boy.