You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: News coming out of BC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:12 pm 

Here are some of the News reports we are seeing, (I'm so happy!), thanks to everyone who has sent me news reports so I can share it. A huge thank you to all the friends and supporters here at the forum for all the letters and wishes you have sent to BC in the past months. It paid off! We didn't get legislation, but (I have been told) a Ministerial Order carries the same force of law, but it is quicker. Legislation would have been great, but this is still a victory!

The details have not been released, so we will have to wait and see, but so far so good!

***************************************************************************************************************
Here is the link to ctv news.
click on View streaming newscast then click on Monday.

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: http://www.bcctv.ca/streamnews.jsp?id=/ ... g_news.htm

***************************************************************************************************************

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=4a48cfa4-7e98-4ad9-af44-32cffd61de2e&k=16301

*****************************************************************************************************************

BC government orders policies to protect school children from deadly allergies
http://www.news1130.com/news/topstory/a ... n=News1130 Insider Club&contentPaths=/shared/article.jsp&title=&content=20070910_165623_4636&adZone=news

********************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... b3161881f4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:47 am 

This announcement has done great things for awareness in here in BC our phones here have been very busy with media inquiries :

Pam Lee was also on CKNW today with Christy Clark www.cknw.com[/url]

I will be on CBC Radio One in Victoria on the On The Island segment at 7:35am PST until 7:50am. you can go online and listen live just put your location as Victoria. Wednesday Sept 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm so glad to hear that things look so positive in B.C.

I say a round of applause for Pam, Tracy, Caroline, Nancy, and all the other hard-working parents who formed the group PACT. You guys did a phenomenal job; the pressure you brought to bear and the rally you pulled off in the spring really made a difference in getting anaphylaxis and the schools onto the agenda.

As TZ said elsewhere, we still want to see the wording of the actual framework and how the 't's have been crossed. But from what Pam says - and she should know as one who said through the policy discussions – it certainly appears that the ministerial order has teeth.

Those of us at AL are so happy for all of you in B.C. And Caroline, to hear you so pleased this year about your son's school is just wonderful. I so clearly remember your distress last year. What a difference a year and a team of committed people can make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:33 am 

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to read this forum tonight. Caroline when I read your email tonight my throat grew tight. Now I can't even stop the tears from welling. I am so relieved, overjoyed and excited that all of the hard work this group has done has paid off so productively and this will mean we as parents don't have to advocate quite so hard, beg or be considered "that parent" anymore. Thank you all from the bottom of my household's heart! I will dance my way to bed tonight and likely won't be able to sleep after hearing such great news. Just hearing that the order has teeth is fantastic!

Hmmm, any chance the minister said she'd put funds in place for lunch time supervision for anaphylactic students while she's at it? :lol:

Thank you again. You have all made this moms night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:38 am 

Thanks for the applause! We could not have gotten as far without you. In fact, this is where I 'met' Nancy and Pam -- you brought us together here on the forum! You, Gwen, and the magazine have been such a supporter. THANK YOU and applause to you as well.

And as for the new school year. . . what a difference! Signs are up on the doors and it is just so not a big deal. The lunch monitoring is still the same -- one adult per 100 kids, walking between classrooms -- but already the parents know that there are two kids in the class with allergies, and so the allergens just don't come in. All we needed to do was communicate with the other families, which was something the former principal just didn't want to do. Go figure.

I have learned so much through this challenge of raising allergy awareness. I really really saw myself in your editor's note, 'Let Your Kid Be A Kid' in the latest issue of AL magazine. I have been intense and obnoxious because I felt unheard. Now I feel heard on the big level through the ministerial order and the province , yeah! But more importantly, I feel heard on the main level: with the people who take care of my son when he is at school, when I cannot be with him. This was something worth fighting for, and I am grateful that I had you, Gwen, and the AL community in my corner.

*Gush* Can you tell I am happy?? :lol:

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 am 
Site Admin

Can I chime in and say how happy I am that you are all so happy? :)
This is a big momemt for all provinces . I am still somewhat unclear as to what a ministerial order is and how it is enforced but I expect this will help other province who are trying to get legislation in their schools.
Canadian children everywhere are one step closer to being kept safe and it is because of the relentless and hard work of the PACT group and all of the BC families!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Caroline,

Thanks and I have to say that I doubt you were ever "obnoxious". You're more polite than I am on my most polite day. :wink:

You were just doing what you knew in your gut to be right. This new framework proves how right you were. The court of public opinion endorsed your view of the shortcomings and inherent dangers of the status quo. And public opinion got the gov't to act.

Democracy at work. And Michelle's getting me all verklempt, too.
Ain't it nice to have good allergic news?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:06 am 

Oh, no, Gwen, *you* never called me obnoxious! T'was the Powers That Be that did so. . . and I have the emails to prove it . :roll: (I am so glad we got through it!!)
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:07 pm 

So very happy for you all!!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm 

I wondered if any of the PACT group would be meeting anytime soon to talk about how it's going and what was happening in the schools in order to ensure this actually happens. I'm a bit concerned that there will be some discrepancies about what education and awareness will look like and wonder if it needs a bit of lobbying to have this spelled out clearly in this new policy if it hasn't already been completed. Has there been any actual documents released?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:54 pm 

I wondered if anyone has seen the wording on Shirley Bond's new "policies" (or whatever they are called)? I read that they were suppose to be sent to Districts but haven't seen a copy. I've asked several teachers if they have heard anything and they all say they've not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 am 

Hey Michelle, the Minister's Order has been signed, I beleive I put a link up on another one of the forums. However it continually refers to the "Anaphylaxis Framework" which is the "meat" behind the Order. I have called my MLA and written Minister Bond's office asking fora copy of the Framework - so far no response from either. I have suggested that everyone do the same and they will see that we are not just sitting back taking their word for it but want to know details.

As for any of us meeting, yes I expect we will convene once the "Framework" is accessible and we can all look at it and then have something to discuss.

we will keep you in that loop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:22 am 

Thanks.

I don't understand how this is suppose to be proactively protecting students THIS September when the month is almost through and nothings been put in place. :shock:

So, is this the framework that Districts are suppose to have received? Has anyone asked their District for a copy yet?