You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:12 pm 

This is interesting....

<<What I didn't know was one important thing: Some babies are allergic to foods found in their mother's breast milk, and my baby was one of them.>>

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/10/nu ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 pm 

Quote:
I was proud I'd been able to stick to the diet, but I was heartbroken that it hadn't "fixed" my baby's illness.

A great article, and the above quote really stood out for me. It is absolutely how I felt/feel after ds weaned and then, 3 months later, showed stronger SPT reactions to the foods I had so diligently eliminated for nearly 2 years. But I feel confident in knowing that I was at least able to give ds the other, less tangible benefits of breastfeeding.

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:46 am 

Interesting. I'm currently bfing my baby, and eating my normal diet, which already excludes my own allergens. No other symptoms of allergy as far as we can tell. (Keep a good thought.)

Has she confused intolerance and allergy in the article?

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:21 am 

I wondered about her use of the word "intolerance" too, since her daughter's reactions to soy and dairy are the same as ds's, which the allergist refers to as allergic. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:46 pm 

It's the first time I hear about another mom doing this, and I don't feel so bad because they have it a lot worse than me!!! I'm not on a TED, but for almost 9 months now, I've eliminated most allergens from my diet because of Anne's reactions. No dairy, eggs, soy, beef, veal, fish, nuts, peanuts, treenuts, barley and seafood... I've stuck with it this long, but now it's taking it's toll on my body, and I'm slowly weaning her... It's hard on a mom, but boy do I feel good about doing it when I look at my little one playing and happy and healthy! :D

I found that doctors are very unaware of the effects of nursing vs allergies in a baby. The first ped tossed the diarrhea, gassiness, crying while eating, bad case of eczema on the 'colic bus'! :? I was lucky to meet a Dr that told me it was allergies a month later, when we consulted for something else. I was sad that all my breastfeeding efforts didn't keep the allergies away, but I still kept it up, because of the other benefits, and in the hopes it helps her outgrow some (or in the best case ALL) of her allergies!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Somebody should say it - so I will... :) Be careful, though, with elimination diets.

If you go that route, make sure you do so with the advice of a dietitian or doc.

If you avoid foods that you don't need to avoid, the experts say that can inadvertently deprive baby (not to mention, Mom!) of nutrients. Dietitians are usually available through the pediatric hospitals.

I know some of the dietitians at Sick Kids, who are very good. They're happy to take questions at: 1-800-737-7976 or e-mail sfs@sickkids.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Well said Gwen! In Ontario and BC we are fortunate to have Dieticians (not nutritionists which are something else and not regulated the same way) available just a phone call away.

In Ontario and British Columbia there is a publicly funded service for residents of that province that offers free telephone access to Registered Dietitians (RD) Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

In Ontario call toll free 1-877-510-5102
In Greater Vancouver call 604-732-9191
In British Columbia call toll free 1-800-667-3438

http://www.dietitians.ca/ASP/find_dieti ... titian.asp

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb