You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: camping with allergies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:43 pm 

The other day Su-Ling Goh did a spot on camping with allergies. This camp is in the Edmonton area. To see this go to www.globaltvedmonton.com then in the search box at the top ask for allergy camp. This is at camp yowochas. For anyone who would like to send their child to camp it seems about as safe as one can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:24 pm 

Thanks for posting this. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Here's the link to the news article - http://news.globaltv.com/video/index.ht ... 1199628669

Here's the link to Camp YoWoChAs - http://www.ywcayowochas.org/about.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm 

I posted about that camp back in the spring, and no one even replied! In fact, I was just going to come and post the video here because .... that's ME in the video! Matthew is my son. Normally they don't allow parents to attend camp, but I was allowed to voluteer in the kitchen because I have some medical qualifications that they needed. I learned a TON, and my son is a changed man, so to speak. This camp is beyond wonderful, and Lilly & Wendy (the AAIA founders of the camp - a nurse and a dietician) deserve some kind of special recognition for this. There were kids from the U.S. whose families flew all the way up to Edmonton for this opportunity.

Many kudos deserve to go to the YWCA as well, for allowing the AAIA to take over part of their kitchen like that. It's not easy on the regular kitchen staff! The other 80 non-allergic campers also learned alot about kids with allergies as well. If anyone is interested in starting up a camp like this, let me know. I can get you in touch with LIlly & Wendy who can explain how it was done. I believe the 1st step was finding a local camp that would be willing to accomodate up to 20 kids, that has a separate kitchen area that can be used to avoid cross-contamination.

While 2 of the campers had only nut allergies, most regular camps will accomodate nut allergies anyway. Most of the allergy campers were allergy to multiple foods, with the most common being milk and egg. These kids would never normally be able to eat at a camp. I could go on and on ..... amazing experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

MomtoBunches ... how cool.
Will check the video later to see you two.

FYI, AL mag has written about the AAIA camp a few times - so great that AAIA continues to have this camp. I've even heard of campers from the States attending.

Fyi, for more allergy-friendly camps see: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=50

Erin in our office is always updating. So if anyone hears of others to add / track down the info on, pls e-mail Erin at editor@allergicliving.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm 

Momtobunches, how wonderful for you & your son. I showed the clip to my hubby and we both thought your son was absolutely adorable. It will definitely be something we look into as our kids get older. :)