You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
My son fell off a play-scape - about 6 feet - and landed on his epi-pen. The only damage was a bruise. He was also wearing it when involved in a minor MVA. He was thrown foward into the seat belt -- which happened to be where the epi-pen was. Again -- no harm to him or the epi-pen.

Glad to hear he was OK in both situations. In the car, is he in car seat or booster? How do/did you navigate the 5pt harness with the epi belt on? I still carry my kids' epipens in my purse if we're all going out together partly because I haven't figured out how to get the carseat harness tight enough without being uncomfortable / unsafe. They current only wear their Kozy epis when they are at school.

And, thanks Susan! My 3yr old son is 'rougher' than my DD and I may have to go that route in future if there are incidents with the Kozy not providing enough protection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:40 am 

At the time of the MVA he was in a booster seat which used only the lap and shoulder belts of the car.

When he was in a five point harness I used to take the e-belt off of him and clip it around my purse straps (that way I wouldn't forget it in the car).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
At the time of the MVA he was in a booster seat which used only the lap and shoulder belts of the car.

When he was in a five point harness I used to take the e-belt off of him and clip it around my purse straps (that way I wouldn't forget it in the car).

Good idea - thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

From the makers of e-belt:
Quote:
Yes, there is a new E-Belt in the works and it will be available very soon. Final design and testing have been completed.
We are looking to deliver the New E-Belt to our Distributors by May 15th, 2010. Thank you.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 pm 

Does anyone know when the drug stores will actually get the new epipen? I called two large drug stores yesterday and they hadn't heard there will be a change. I'd prefer to have all our school ones of one type or the other, and not a mixture of both, but that might be inevitable.

All this talk about the new epipen being bigger is making me consider twinject, even if I would only expect the school and other caregivers to use the first dose. I checked on the twinject site today and turns out if you get the twin pack, the cost of each unit would be comparable to one unit of epipen - around $85-90.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

E-belt issues aside, though, IMHO, the new design is an improvement.

There had been more confusion than you'd expect from people not knowing which end was up and injecting into their hands.
With the "needle end" clearly marked, that's gotta put a stop to those mistakes.

Some of you will remember allergist Dr. David Fischer's study of teachers - in which something like a quarter of them would have injected wrongly. :oops

Another feature I like - the covering of the used needle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:43 pm 

I'm sure teachers especially will like the needle being covered.

I just wish it wasn't bigger, ya know? My son is hitting his teens. I know he's bound to rebel with the epi-pen at some point, not wanting to carry it. So far, he's only rolled his eyes at me a few times -- but this will get worse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:51 am 

I can appreciate it's a better product, but like others have said, I wish they had just changed the shape without making it bigger!

http://www.kozyepi.com/faq.htm

Unfortunately it says on here that the Kozy pouches have been resized to fit the new epipens. So there's another $80 investment!

Do most schools accept Twinject as long as the parent gives them enough of them to not need to use the 2nd dose? The other kid at our school already uses twinject, so the staff will be trained on both. I'm considering changing over. . . . The current duo Kozy is already pretty big on both of my petite children.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Admin

I really wish these makers of these belts would give their current customers a discounted price! The ammount of word of mouth advertizing that we do...they could consider it seeding the market.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
IDo most schools accept Twinject as long as the parent gives them enough of them to not need to use the 2nd dose? The other kid at our school already uses twinject, so the staff will be trained on both. I'm considering changing over. . ..

In Ontario the wording includes twinject (it says autoinjector not epi-pen). Principal that I spoke with said they will give the auto shot only, not the second dose, so you should still send in two. (My son carries one and leaves on in the office.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I'm waiting to hear back from the Senior Programming Co-ordinator of the Assistvie Devices Program with the Ontario Ministry of Health. :swing

Quote:
What is the Assistive Devices Program ?
The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care runs the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) to help people who have long-term physical disabilities get needed equipment and supplies.

In some cases ADP pays 75 per cent of the cost of items like orthopaedic braces, wheelchairs, and breathing aids.

In other cases, such as artificial limbs and breast prostheses, ADP contributes a fixed amount up to a maximum contribution.

For some kinds of supplies, such as ostomy and needles and syringes for insulin-dependent seniors, ADP pays an annual grant directly to the person.

If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), you may be eligible to receive more money.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/adp/about.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

How about this? An e-mail to King Pharmaceutical.
Quote:
First let me say that I am pleased with some of the new features of the Epipen! I realize that you have been trying to create a product that will deliver the necessary medication effectively with less of a risk of error. As the mother of a child with anaphylaxis to many foods, I appreciate that.

I wonder if you considered that in changing the shape of the device, you have inadvertently caused a problem in that the belts so many of the children use to carry this life saving device can not accommodate the larger size. Children are usually required to wear their auto-injector on their person while at school as part of their individual anaphylaxis plan.

I have spoken to MedicAlert and the makers of the e-belt and they will have a prototype available in 6-8 weeks however this is a cost that many parents are not happy with. You can imagine that as allergies tend to run in families, many parents are facing the choice of renewing their prescription for the Epipen and having to purchase several new e-belts (one per child) or simply switching to the Twinject.

I am most comfortable with Epipen. I have known it and used it for the past 7 years and it has saved my daughter on too many occasions. But I have to consider what will give her the protection she needs and that means having epinephrine on her body regardless of the devise used.

Is there any plan in the works to help families offset the cost of a new e-belt? Currently, it is not considered a medical device and is not covered under an drug insurance plan nor is it viewed as an eligible medical expense by CRA for income tax purposes.

I would love to be able to count on the Epipen to keep my daughter safe. It is simple to use and readily recognized by all those who provide her with supervision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

FYI-the local PharmaPlus has new Epipens in. The Pharmacist was surprised as well. We had a nice chat 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 pm 

Great letter to King, Susan. I'm in the same boat as you. . . I'll wait to see exactly how much larger the new epis are, and how much larger the pouches are before I decide, I think. I also would much rather prefer to stay with epipen rather than switch to twinject, but we'll see what happens. I also don't want to have half our units as the old ones and half of them be the new ones, so have to show other caregivers both types and get them all confused.

Are you OK with people using your letter as a form letter and emailing King themselves?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Alison's Mom wrote:
IDo most schools accept Twinject as long as the parent gives them enough of them to not need to use the 2nd dose? The other kid at our school already uses twinject, so the staff will be trained on both. I'm considering changing over. . ..

In Ontario the wording includes twinject (it says autoinjector not epi-pen). Principal that I spoke with said they will give the auto shot only, not the second dose, so you should still send in two. (My son carries one and leaves on in the office.)

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's the same here in BC, and since there's another kid at our school who uses Twinject, it would be fine for school staff. It's just a matter of making the switch and making it not confusing for my parents or the occasional sitter. From what I read on the twinject site, the cost would be comparable to epipen if you buy the two-pack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next