You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm 

I saw the new one today - took a quick look at it, it does seem to be a little bit "fatter", but I don't think it'll be an issue for either of the belts that we have. I'm pretty sure it'll still fit into both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 am 
Site Admin

I spoke to the representative last night at our local support group and she advised that the fabric carriers should accomodate the new style. If it took the old style in it's original container, it should take the new style (go to a pharmacy and try to fit one.)
The e-belt is rigid and only fit the Eipen without the container. This will not fit the newer style.
If you can find an original style at the pharmacy, buy it and it should have a mail in for a KozyEpi belt.
If you cannot find this and you have a e-belt, contact King Paharmaceuticals. They will replace the e-belts-but only the e-belts.

By the way, she informed me that major manufacturers of belts were given plenty of notice on the dimensions of the new style.

Here is the response I received from King Pharmaceutical:
Quote:
Good Day,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the new EpiPen will not fit in the current ebelt carriers. The ebelt has never been a recommended EpiPen carrier as the EpiPen new or original does not fit in the e-belt WITH the protective case; it is important that auto-injectors be stored in the carrier unit with the nose cone toward the bottom of the carrier and the top cap fully secured as the carrier unit is designed to prevent the safety cap on the injector unit becoming even partially dislodged. The carrier case also protects the unit from environmental contamination and minimizes stress on the unit.

We apologize for the inconvenience and should you wish we would be glad to replace your ebelt carrier with one of our EpiPen carriers. Please feel free to contact us on our toll free line at 1.877.374.7361 option 3 and we will be glad to help with this replacement.

Kind Regards,

Your Customer Service Team

Customer Service

King Pharmaceuticals

2915 Argentia Road, Unit 7

Mississauga, ON Canada L5N 8G6

info@kingpharm.com

1.877-EpiPen.1

T 905.812.9911

F 905.812.9916

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm 

Thanks for the update, Susan. I didn't know ebelt required the epipen to be taken out of its plastic case. Yes, with the Kozy pouch, there is a bit of room so something slightly fatter should still fit in there.

Epipen's own pouches look like Kozies, but aren't actually the same - not sure who makes them. They have an 'Epipen' tag on them and the waist strap only has a buckle on one side, unlike the Kozy which has two buckles. We got two of them from the promotion last year, but do they actually sell them as well? I didn't see anything on the epipen.ca site about being able to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

They are KozyEpi's they are part of a promotion and I don't think they sell them, either. Some of the original style Epipens at the pharmacy have a mail in voucher (?) for one of these belts. They are not advertizing the promotion any other way but are receptive to handing them out if people contact them individually. If they get a huge influx of requests they may ask for the e-belt in exchange as they really only want to replace this type of belt. Which I think is fair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm 

Thanks Susan. I got my two trainers today in the mail, but as they are not housed in their usual plastic case, I still don't know if they will fit in the Kozy while they are in their plastic case. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Just got a new EpiPen. I have to say, I'm impressed.

One thing that sometimes worries me is - what happens in the event that one anaphylaxes and passes out?
With this new version it's so obvious what the bystander should do with it.
Even if you had zero training, you could figure this out.
(Now you just have to hope something looks at the MedAlert bracelet and gets what's happening.)

And using the trainer, I also really like the cover for the injected needle.
Safety - but also psychologically, it's nice to never see it!

It's really too bad about the E-belt fit issue.
But I think it definitely is an improved 'pen'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Admin

I'm hoping that the makers of e-belt will some up with something soon-it's obvious that we need a sturdy belt that can withstand rugged activity!

BTW-The King rep thatI spoke to mentioned that all major belt manufacturers were given the new dimentions well in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
BTW-The King rep thatI spoke to mentioned that all major belt manufacturers were given the new dimentions well in advance.

That seems odd. Maybe the new dimentions in the case. King has very clearly stated they do not recommend any carrier that requires removing it from the case it comes in -- so it seems against their own statements to give that dimention.

btw, pharmacists and schools don't seem to have been advised in advance -- both places that I would think should have been.

~~

Gwen, what kind of case does the new epi-pen come in? Is it similar in size and strength to the most recent case?

Quote:
And using the trainer, I also really like the cover for the injected needle.
Safety - but also psychologically, it's nice to never see it!

But, seeing the needle was always the first and easiest way to see that it had actually injected properly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 pm 

I just picked up two of these new epipens today, and yes, they do fit in the old style Kozy Epi pouches while inside their plastic housing, and they also fit in the free neoprene pouches that Epipen was giving them out in their promotion. It's a snug fit with both, but it works.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie (and others) ...

See this mini-review we added to the news story. Now that we've had time to scrutinize the new Pen and practice with the trainer: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=370

Solid plastic case. It has a tight-fitting flip-top. You'll still want a carrier, though, for transporting. For a girl who's old enough, a little purse would be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 am 

Quoting from Gwen's link:

Quote:
even a person who'd never seen an auto-injector before could easily administer the new EpiPen.

For years I have run experiments on the epi-pen. I think I'll try this one next. Of course, it might be difficult for me to find someone I know that has never seen an auto-injector.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 am 

~~

I'm so not impressed with this change. I want it smaller not bigger. I have a son heading very quickly into his teens. It's hard enough getting teen boys to carry the epi-pen....so they make it....bigger. [/color] :scratchy[/quote]

AnnaMarie: I understand your comment about teen boys and the epi-pen. I have a teenage son (PA) who is now 18. For years now we have sewn a pocket into the inside of the inseem of the pant leg of his jeans. He isn't self conscience of it and it is always with him and easily accessible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Great idea!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:35 pm 

I picked up the sqeak's new epipens last week. I do like the new design - and she does too! After she heard that she won't be able to see the needle anymore once it's been used - she isn't as scared of it anymore ( :thumbsup ). One thing that I do wish dearly that they would have done is made the casing for it waterproof and sand proof. The kids wear these outdoors and play wearing them rain or shine (especially those with the "outdoor" anaphylaxis allergies), and to not have to pack them in a baggie first would be a godsend to me. How hard would it be to put a silicone grommet around the top of the lid (like they have around the battery casing for electric toothbrushes) to keep out moisture and sand?

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 pm 

Dawne, glad to hear you and your daughter both like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next