Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 pm 

SLR wrote:
~~
I have a teenage son (PA) who is now 18. For years now we have sewn a pocket into the inside of the inseem of the pant leg of his jeans. He isn't self conscience of it and it is always with him and easily accessible.

Is this inside the pants? Does he have to take them off to get to it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm 

Doitalldawnee wrote:
How hard would it be to put a silicone grommet around the top of the lid (like they have around the battery casing for electric toothbrushes) to keep out moisture and sand?
Dawne

I totally hear you. I just bought a water proof case to be able to carry two epis on me during swimming lesson, but it's bulky and heavy (it's a parent/tot lesson so I have to get in the pool too). For the company to modify the case, they would probably have to pass down the cost to the consumer and add $10 or $15 to the cost? And I'm guessing that not everyone would want to pay extra for the water proof-ness. Maybe they could make a waterproof container and sell if on their website so it would be 'Epipen approved' but optional?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm 

He doesn't have to take off his pants to access the Epipen. The sleeve is built into the inseem of his jeans next to his ankle. His allergist was very impressed and said that we should share our idea with others.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:03 pm 

Thank you for explaining. I guess because I tend to think in terms of a belt, I was imagining this pocket being by the top of the leg. Not only difficult to get to it -- but, really rather obscene looking if you really think about it. :oops

For an older teen that sounds like a great idea - don't think my son is quite ready for it. But it's something I'll keep in mind as he grows up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 am 

I do know what you mean ... that is why my son won't carry his epipen in his pants pocket. We started sewing the pocket into his pant inseem (next to his ankle) when he didn't want to carry the epipen on his belt any longer. It has been a good solution for us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 am 

Could you explain the sleeve in the pants in detail? How does it stay shut? How do they acccess it? Is it visible from the outside at all?

I think it is a great idea, and will do it, too, as my boy will be 13 in a week, and I know we are heading into the scary years, but I thought because he has been so amazingly good from 6 to now, we might continue with him never forgetting and taking total responsibility.

Then a couple of weeks ago the principal phoned to say that he had not eaten lunch and he told her it was bacause he didn't have his Epipen. I told her he would NEVER forget his Epipen, and if he did he would either go home or get me to bring it, and he was just lazy and hadn't made lunch, and this was his way of covering up for getting nailed for that. And then when I talked to him I found out I WAS WRONG :frightened and he actually had forgotten his Epipen and walked around all day without it and did nothing to help himself out of that situation except not to eat. :banghead :banghead :banghead

And lately, he had that "what's the big deal" attitude when it comes to wearing it, and he just puts in in his pocket, which means the consistancy of wearing in on a belt or something strapped to him is gone.

Has anyone tried the leg buddy?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I heard back from the makers of the e-belt. Their new version that will accomodate the newer Epipen shoul dbe available in 2-3 weeks. Not sure of the cost though.
http://www.zoniinc.com/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm 

Attention aaronsmom: Totally understand your concerns as we also have struggled with our teenage son in the past. Check out epipocket.com It was the answer for us!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 pm 

Is that your company? You should put it on Etsy, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am 

Quoted from zoniinc (maker of e-belt):

Quote:
This version of the E-BELT® will carry the new style Oval Auto-Injector along with its recommended carrying case

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:04 pm 

Quote:
We are dedicated to providing our customers with excellent services and valuable resources. That’s why we are pleased to offer you a FREE EpiPen® Starter Kit.

This was the front page add in the latest Allergic Living edition but in case anyone missed it........At http://www.epipen.ca you can register on their site and are able to sign up for a FREE new style free epipen trainer kit.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish